* Re: Copyright forms for new contributor?
@ 2001-10-16  8:46 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2001-10-16  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnovillo, pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:38:29 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
> To: Diego Novillo <dnovillo@redhat.com>
> cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>, POP Sebastian <s.pop@laposte.net>

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Diego Novillo wrote:
> > I'm not sure who handles these requests.  Could somebody please
> > help Sebastian getting the copyright forms?

> Nobody officially handles these requests ever since RMS requested
> that we remove these forms from our web site. And ever since then, I
> am wasting my time handling these requests as nobody else seems to
> care.

It was a mistake to take what we did off the web site.  Instead, I
think we should point them to the FSF directly on our web site, since
they seem to want the support hassle, and if a response isn't
forthcoming, refer the user to the old web pages.  If any advice given
by the web pages turns out to be wrong, we can update and refine the
documentation to always be right.  I'd go so far as to say, the
reference to the web site should be right under the pointer to the
FSF.

:-(

* Re: Copyright forms for new contributor?
@ 2001-10-16 17:53 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2001-10-16 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbuck, jsm28; +Cc: gcc

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:54:17 +0100 (BST)
> From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
> To: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.COM>
> cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>

> How do the assignments to the FSF interact with the presence of
> non-FSF-copyright files in the tree?  For example, some of the files in
> the gcc/ada directory are copyright FSF, some are copyright Ada Core
> Technologies, some are copyright Florida State University.  If people with
> FSF assignments contribute to these files, do their contributions become
> copyright FSF (rather than any other copyright holder of the files)?

I was surprised to see that the Ada files weren't copyright FSF.
Normally during the import of new code, the code is donated to the
FSF, and the copyright is changed to reflect this fact.  It allows the
FSF to bring a copyright suit against folks that violate copyright,
and it establishes a single clear owner for the work.

Was it intentional that the code not be donated, or have folks just
not gotten around to it yet?

* Re: Copyright forms for new contributor?
@ 2001-10-21 19:35 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-10-21 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbuck, jsm28, mrs; +Cc: gcc

<<I was surprised to see that the Ada files weren't copyright FSF.

All the files that were originally developed at NYU have the FSF copyright,
reflecting the assignment of copyright (required by the federal contract)
from NYU to the FSF. Some files developed subsequently have an ACT
copyright , but that simply reflects a temporary situation that existed,
and we will ensure that the copyright notices are updated to reflect FSF
copyright ownership, reflecting the assignment, now in place, from ACT to
the FSF.

The FSU (Florida State University) copyrights are another matter. These
do represent work done by Ted Baker's group at FSU. They cover the
tasking parts of the runtime, and neither FSU nor Ted wanted to
assign the copyright to FSF (Ted wanted specifically to have a clear
record of the FSU involvement). I did discuss this with Richard Stallman
at the time, and he indicated that he did not feel it was a problem. In
the event that it does turn out to be a problem, we can simply remove
the tasking runtime from the site, we will still have a working non-tasking
port of GNAT if we do this.

Robert Dewar

* Re: Copyright forms for new contributor?
@ 2001-10-22  4:13 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-10-22  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard.Earnshaw; +Cc: gcc

    Shouldn't the runtime code be moved out into a separate directory, in the
    same way as other runtime code is (libstdc++, libjava, libobc ...).

In theory, yes, and this has been on the "to do" list for quite a
while.  However, it has the potential of making the bootstrap problem
much worse, so it needs to be done very carefully or delayed until
after the GCC 3.1 release.