* problem
@ 2001-10-19  8:14 Nurse, Brian
From: Nurse, Brian @ 2001-10-19  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

I am having a problem searching the mailing lists (gcc-help in this case):

ht://Dig error
htsearch detected an error. Please report this to the webmaster of this
site. The error message is:

Unable to read word database file '/sourceware/htdig2/gcc/db/db.words.db'
Did you run htmerge?

Thanks

Brian

* Re: problem
@ 2001-10-19  8:37 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2001-10-19  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nurse, Brian; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 11:10:36AM -0400, Nurse, Brian wrote:

> I am having a problem searching the mailing lists (gcc-help in this case):

The search database got accidentally toasted.  It takes a while to rebuilt
it.  Should be okay before the end of the day (I see we're in the same
timezone), but that's just a guess.

Phil

* Re: problem
@ 2005-02-15 21:27 ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2005-02-15 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Virender Kashyap; +Cc: gcc

Virender Kashyap wrote:
>    I have written a small structure (function_cfg_info) to hold CFG
> information (defined in new file tree-cfg.h) and wanted to add this to
> call graph node data structure (in cgraph.h).

This list isn't for people trying to learn how to write C code.  It is
for people trying to work on gcc development.  There are better places
to ask beginner questions, such as gcc-help.

You should also read the instructions on reporting bugs.  You didn't
include the error message you got.  You also apparently didn't include a
full example, as you claim that you included tree-cfg.h, but there is no
#include in your example.  It should work with the missing #include.  See
	http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html

* problem
@ 2005-02-14 22:19 Virender Kashyap
From: Virender Kashyap @ 2005-02-14 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

hi
    I have written a small structure (function_cfg_info) to hold CFG
information (defined in new file tree-cfg.h) and wanted to
add this to call graph node data structure (in cgraph.h). When I add this
to cgraph_node , it is unable to find this structure, even after including
the   tree-cfg.h. I updated the make file as well to suit the changes,
something like:
TREE_CFG_H = tree-cfg.h $(BASIC_BLOCK_H)
CGRAPH_H = cgraph.h tree.h $(TREE_CFG_H)

for example if i define a type, in tree-cfg.h, as :
typedef struct function_cfg_info *fun_cfg_info ;
and add following to cgraph.h :
fun_cfg_info cfginfo ;

   Can someone help me in figuring out the problem with this.

Regards.
Virender

* Re: problem
@ 2001-12-19  9:48 GTFSTBK
From: GTFSTBK @ 2001-12-19  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

In a message dated 12/19/01 11:14:24 AM, tprince@computer.org writes:

>Perhaps you should document MachTen so you can look it up on the gcc site.
>
>ggcc included a port of an obsolete version for the PowerMAC and
>
>some earlier MAC.  The patches never showed up as part of the "real" gcc.
>
>It was never feasible to do much upgrading of their gcc except to the extent
>
>that it was covered by paid support. Such problems contributed to my
>
>abandonment of MAC platforms, well prior to the time when my employment
>
>would have dictated such a shift.

Can I obtain one of these binaries please, I am unable to compile anything
due to the authors removal of certain key files from my environment and I
need to get this compiler cause my software specifically asks for it.

My Mac is a pre-G3 power pc and my environemt is a MachTen (WebTen)
derivative.

Dale

* Re: problem
@ 2001-12-19  8:47   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-12-19  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Wood, GTFSTBK; +Cc: gcc

Perhaps you should document Mach10 so you can look it up on the gcc site.
Mach10 included a port of an obsolete version of gcc to the PowerMAC and
some earlier MAC.  The patches never showed up as part of the "real" gcc.
It was never feasible to do much upgrading of their gcc except to the extent
that it was covered by paid support. Such problems contributed to my
abandonment of MAC platforms, well prior to the time when my employment
would have dictated such a shift.  I would suppose that the linux ports are
the only current viable route for PowerMAC support.
From: dewar @ 2001-12-19  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, rra

<<It's a somewhat quirky POSIX layer for Macintosh.  It's a commercial
product from Tenon.  I believe it's now being retired since MacOS X has
been released.

Actually they describe it as more of a Unix layer, the idea is to provide
a unix environment on the Mac, and yes, it has been retired since MacOS
X has been released (last I knew they were selling off remaining stock cheap)

* RE: problem
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D29DBF7@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2001-12-19  1:42 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2001-12-19  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GTFSTBK; +Cc: gcc

Dale wrote:

> My computer is a Power Macintosh 8600/300 and I have no access to an
> IBM machine.

Looking at config.guess, the triple is going to be
'powerpc-apple-machten<version>'.

However, I've tried compiling a powerpc-apple-machten toolchain but
neither bfd nor gcc support it. Even if they did, you're probably
missing system libraries and include files anyway - especially if you
say the system has been deliberately crippled.

I think you're out of luck. Sorry. You could try asking the MachTen
vendor but I'm not optimistic.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find Apache pre-compiled for your mac
to run outside the MachTen environment anyway.

Rup.

* Re: problem
@ 2001-12-19  0:04   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2001-12-19  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D29DBCF@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2001-12-18 23:54 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2001-12-18 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GTFSTBK; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-12-18 23:40 GTFSTBK
From: GTFSTBK @ 2001-12-18 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Please help me, I have spent several weeks with absolutely no results and I
am becoming very frustrated, I require a working gcc and after downloading it
from your site it I am very disappointed in that it must be compiled to
install and my problem is my environment lacks a compiler to do this. (the
authors way of controlling the software)

    All I can tell you is this, suggestion on dealing with the author of the
software or anyone else is pretty much useless to me, what I require is
functional 'gcc'.

    Since I cannot say exactly what my environment is, since it is a stripped
MachTen derivative, several programs are missing that stop me from upgrading
or midifying my environment since every time I issue the command
'./configure' I get the following.

#./configure -v --with-layout=machten
uname: not found
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.12
 + using installation path layout: machten (config.layout)
who: not found
head: not found
head: not found
head: not found
head: not found
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
 + Rule SHARED_CORE=default
 + Rule SHARED_CHAIN=default
 + Rule SOCKS4=no
 + Rule SOCKS5=no
 + Rule IRIXNIS=no
 + Rule IRIXN32=yes
 + Rule PARANOID=no
 + Rule EXPAT=default
 + Rule DEV_RANDOM=default
 + Rule WANTHSREGEX=default
 + Module mmap_static: no
 + Module vhost_alias: no
 + Module env: yes
 + Module log_config: yes
 + Module log_agent: no
 + Module log_referer: no
 + Module mime_magic: no
 + Module mime: yes
 + Module negotiation: yes
 + Module status: yes
 + Module info: no
 + Module include: yes
 + Module autoindex: yes
 + Module dir: yes
 + Module cgi: yes
 + Module asis: yes
 + Module imap: yes
 + Module actions: yes
 + Module speling: no
 + Module userdir: yes
 + Module alias: yes
 + Module rewrite: no
 + Module access: yes
 + Module auth: yes
 + Module auth_anon: no
 + Module auth_dbm: no
 + Module auth_db: no
 + Module digest: no
 + Module auth_digest: no
 + Module proxy: no
 + Module cern_meta: no
 + Module expires: no
 + Module headers: no
 + Module usertrack: no
 + Module example: no
 + Module unique_id: no
 + Module so: no
 + Module setenvif: yes
 + Checking platform/OS type
 + configured for MachTen PPC platform
Error: could not find 'head' anywhere in your PATH
Error: could not find 'who' anywhere in your PATH
Error: could not find 'uname' anywhere in your PATH
Error: could not find 'compress' anywhere in your PATH
Error: could not find 'gcc' C compiler anywhere in your PATH
Configure terminated
#

I do have the '.packlist' from the installed apache if it helps, I just need
to get a working gcc and no idea where to get a binary distribution.

I don't care if I have to try several binaries to find a working one, as long
as I can get something that is known to work and complete I will be very
happy.

Dale

* problem
@ 1999-10-31 23:35 ` Nathan A. Feger
From: Nathan A. Feger @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I see that this is the address that i should email if everything works
alright but it seems that my compiler seems to be having issues, I
cannot compile any kernels and I thought perhaps that was because I was
using an older version of egcs, so I downloaded 2.95.1 and tried to
compile it, however, no such luck.

Is this the address I can query about this problem or is there another?

thanks,
Nathan

btw this is how it ended:

gcc  -DIN_GCC     -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I./config
-I./../include  \
  -DTARGET_NAME=\"i586-pc-linux-gnu\" \
  -c `echo ./toplev.c | sed 's,^\./,,'`
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
toplev.c:1178: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
gcc -c  -DIN_GCC     -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I./config
-I./../include tree.c
gcc -c  -DIN_GCC     -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I./config
-I./../include print-tree.c
gcc -c  -DIN_GCC     -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I./config
-I./../include stor-layout.c
gcc -c  -DIN_GCC     -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I./config
-I./../include fold-const.c
gcc -c  -DIN_GCC     -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I./config
-I./../include ./genflags.c
gcc  -DIN_GCC     -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o genflags \
 genflags.o rtl.o bitmap.o print-rtl.o ` case "obstack.o" in ?*) echo
obstack.o ;; esac ` ` case "" in ?*) echo  ;; esac ` ` case "" in ?*)
echo  ;; esac `  ` case "" in ?*) echo  ;; esac ` ` case "" in ?*) echo
;; esac `
./genflags ./config/i386/i386.md > tmp-flags.h
./move-if-change tmp-flags.h insn-flags.h
touch s-flags
gcc -c  -DIN_GCC     -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I./config
-I./../include function.c
function.c: In function `instantiate_virtual_regs_1':
function.c:4065: internal error--insn does not satisfy its constraints:
(insn 624 622 625 (set (mem:SI (plus:SI (reg:SI 6 %ebp)
                (const_int -44)))
        (reg:SI 0 %eax)) 54 {movsi+2} (nil)
    (nil))
../../gcc/toplev.c:1367: Internal compiler error in function fatal_insn
make[2]: *** [function.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda1/files/g/gcc-2.95.1/gcc'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda1/files/g/gcc-2.95.1/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

--
Nathan Feger			e-mail:nathan@pentrel.com
Pentrel Internet		whois NF1024

           "Ask and ye shall be automated."

* problem
@ 1999-10-31 23:35 ` Florin Iucha
From: Florin Iucha @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nathan, gcc

Hi, Nathan!

> I see that this is the address that i should email if everything works
> alright but it seems that my compiler seems to be having issues, I
> cannot compile any kernels and I thought perhaps that was because I was
> using an older version of egcs, so I downloaded 2.95.1 and tried to
> compile it, however, no such luck.

You are referring to the linux kernel, or xBSD kernel?

Since RedHat 6.0 I have always compiled the latest linux 2.2.x kernels
with  the latest (egcs|gcc) compiler. And I didn't have any problems: I
am using
the computer as a Oracle 8i server for my wife, and it runs!

Few days ago on linux-kernel I saw a post from Alan Cox recomending no
to use gcc-2.95.1 for any kernel stuff... For me it was too late :)

I wasn't able though to compile the kernel for NetBSD 1.4.1 with
gcc-2.95.1 so I compiled it with egcs-1.1.2 which cames standard with
NetBSD.

I also wasn't able to succesfully compile Apache 1.3.9 with gcc-2.95.1
on NetBSD 1.4.1.

But for linux, I can tell you from my experience that at least for
compiling, gcc works.

Best luck,
florin

--

Florin Iucha
mailto://fiucha@neta.com

Moglen's Metaphorical Corollary to Faraday's Law
   "...if you wrap the Internet around every person on the planet
    and spin the planet, software flows in the network."
( http://old.law.columbia.edu/my_pubs/anarchism.html )

* problem
@ 1999-10-10  9:47 Florin Iucha
From: Florin Iucha @ 1999-10-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nathan, gcc

Hi, Nathan!

@ 1999-10-09 13:49 Nathan A. Feger
From: Nathan A. Feger @ 1999-10-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

[...]

* Re: Problem
@ 1999-09-30 18:02   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-09-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcfall, Troy D; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

  In message < D201FAA966D9D211826E00805F313CC898BAFD@USSAM201 >you write:
  > The file gcc-core-2_95_1_tar.gz on the stanford download seems to get an
  > error when unzipping. I tried one of the other sites and it worked fine....
I just tried it and it worked fine for me.

jeff

* Problem
@ 1999-09-30 18:02 ` Mcfall, Troy D
From: Mcfall, Troy D @ 1999-09-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

The file gcc-core-2_95_1_tar.gz on the stanford download seems to get an
error when unzipping. I tried one of the other sites and it worked fine....

Troy McFall
916-861-3280

* Re: Problem
@ 1999-09-01 22:04 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-09-01 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcfall, Troy D; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

@ 1999-09-01 16:22 Mcfall, Troy D
From: Mcfall, Troy D @ 1999-09-01 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

@ 1997-10-31 12:08 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1997-10-31 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Ah, this is the old `cvs doesn't turn back the time on files that you
checkout' problem.  Somedays you cannot win.  :-( Thanks.

> To: mrs@wrs.com (Mike Stump)
> cc: egcs@cygnus.com
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:20:20 -0800
> From: Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com>

> The snapshots intentionally include intdoc.texi so as to avoid this problem.

* Re: problem
@ 1997-10-31 11:20 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1997-10-31 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: egcs

	$(srcdir)/f/intdoc.texi: f/intdoc.c f/intdoc.in f/ansify.c f/intrin.def f/intrin.h
		$(HOST_CC) $(HOST_CFLAGS) $(HOST_LDFLAGS) \
		      `echo $(srcdir)/f/ansify.c | sed 's,^\./,,'` -o f/ansify

	requires that CC be an ANSI compiler, this didn't happen to be the
	case with my /bin/cc.

The snapshots intentionally include intdoc.texi so as to avoid this problem.
You should never need to rebuild it, and hence you should not be running into
this problem.  Perhaps there is a problem with timestamps your source tree?

Jim

* Re: problem
@ 1997-10-30 19:16 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-10-30 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: egcs

> I was building egcs 971023 on HP 10.20, and found out that:
>
> $(srcdir)/f/intdoc.texi: f/intdoc.c f/intdoc.in f/ansify.c f/intrin.def f/intrin.h
> 	$(HOST_CC) $(HOST_CFLAGS) $(HOST_LDFLAGS) \
> 	      `echo $(srcdir)/f/ansify.c | sed 's,^\./,,'` -o f/ansify
>
> requires that CC be an ANSI compiler, this didn't happen to be the
> case with my /bin/cc.

Sigh.

> Ah, one other possibility comes to mind, if the docs are kinda static,
> we can preprocess them and include the preprocessed version in the tar
> file, so that you only wind up needing an ANSI compiler, if you modify
> the docs.

I'd like to avoid this if we can: we intentionally decided at the begining
to try to reduce bloat by not shipping .info files or old ChangeLogs.
We don't want to give that up too easily, I don't think.

* problem
@ 1997-10-30 19:04 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1997-10-30 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I was building egcs 971023 on HP 10.20, and found out that:

$(srcdir)/f/intdoc.texi: f/intdoc.c f/intdoc.in f/ansify.c f/intrin.def f/intrin.h
	$(HOST_CC) $(HOST_CFLAGS) $(HOST_LDFLAGS) \
	      `echo $(srcdir)/f/ansify.c | sed 's,^\./,,'` -o f/ansify

requires that CC be an ANSI compiler, this didn't happen to be the
case with my /bin/cc.

Others will be likely to hit this.(?)  If we are building a native
compiler, we should be able to use the compiler GCC_FOR_TARGET,
otherwise, short of recrafting the Fotran documentation, or
bootstrapping gcc for the native machine, I'm not sure how we fix it.
Ah, one other possibility comes to mind, if the docs are kinda static,
we can preprocess them and include the preprocessed version in the tar
file, so that you only wind up needing an ANSI compiler, if you modify
the docs.

I got around this by install -king the compiler, and reinstalling with
CC=gcc.  That worked fine.