* 64 bit gcc?
@ 2001-10-18  9:00 John Young
From: John Young @ 2001-10-18  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I
am not sure where to go...

I was trying to build pidentd and got the message:

configure: error:

ERROR: gcc doesn't support 64-bit compilation on 'sparc-sun-solaris2.8'
yet.
       Please read the INSTALL file for more information.

INSTALL says:
* Some information for Solaris 7 users:

If you want to run pidentd on a 64-bit kernel, you need to compile with
compiler capabable of producing 64-bit binaries.  Both gcc 2.8.1 and
egcs
1.1 cannot do this, so you need to use SunPro C 5.0.

Is this planned for a future release of gcc?

						JY
John E. Young				    B1148/R202
Analytical Services and Materials           864-8659

* Re: 64 bit gcc?
@ 2001-10-18 13:33 John Young
From: John Young @ 2001-10-18 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:30:40 -0700
From: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>
To: j.e.young@larc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: 64 bit gcc?

John,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 04:02:56PM -0400, John Young wrote:

>    Thanks for your response.  I had not yet installed gcc 3.0
> (mostly I am still running 2.95.2), and so did not have the notes.
> I went to the web page ( http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html )
> to see if I could find any mention of whether v3.x supported 64-bit
> but did not see any.  I also checked the FAQ, but (perhaps I am
> blind and should read it again) did not se it mentioned there
> either.  Being fairly busy, I did not want to configure/build/
> propagate a new version of gcc until I had a good reason to.
>
>    Thanks again for the info..

Would you mind sending this to the gcc mailing list?  It would be
valuable if the people who maintain the installation instructions and
other documentation could know where you expected to find this kind of
information.  They want the documentation to be as useful as possible,
but the existing organization always seems intuitive to those who are
accustomed to it.

Thank you for your feedback.

Janis