* Continuing problems trying to build Ada
@ 2001-11-09 16:51 reg
From: reg @ 2001-11-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

After the help I received here last week, I actually got thru an Ada compile
once.

I am on a Linux (RedHat 7.0) system, and I loaded gnat-3.12p-6.i386.rpm and
gnat-devel-3.12p-6 to bring up the necessary Ada routines. (I Think I only
needed the latter).

I was able to configure and build with:
	cd GCCOBJ
	../GNU/GC/gcc/configure --prefix=/usr/local/GCC3.1
	make bootstrap
	cd gcc
	make gnatlib_and_tools
	make install.

Except that, AFTER I had destroyed GCCOBJ and unloading the Linux RPMs, I
realized that the gnat.... routines (like gnatbind) had NOT loaded anywhere
that I could find them.

OK, so I try again.  Reload the RPMs, make a new GCCOBJ, configure and make
as above.

Now, during the make bootstrap I get the following error:
	make -C ada "AR_FLAGS_FOR_TARGET=" "AR_CREATE_FOR ...

* Re: Continuing problems trying to build Ada
@ 2001-11-09 18:10 ` guerby
From: guerby @ 2001-11-09 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reg; +Cc: gcc

>	../GNU/GC/gcc/configure --prefix=/usr/local/GCC3.1

You forgot again --enable-languages=c,ada.

> 	  cd gcc
> 	  make gnatlib_and_tools

You forgot "cd .." before installing.

> 	  make install

After make install, ls -1  /usr/local/GCC3.1/bin should give:

c++
c++filt
cpp
g++
g77
gcc
gccbug
gcov
gnat
gnatbind
gnatbl
gnatchop
gnatfind
gnatkr
gnatlink
gnatls
gnatmake
gnatprep
gnatpsta
gnatpsys
gnatxref
i686-pc-linux-gnu-c++
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby@acm.org>

* Re: Continuing problems trying to build Ada
@ 2001-11-11 21:26 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-11-11 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar; +Cc: gcc, starner

dewar@gnat.com writes:

> <<Maybe it would be a good idea to start trying it, since people are going
> to build GNAT with whatever's on the system. In any case, shouldn't the
> full bootstrap make up for any deficencies that don't prevent the build?
>>>

> Maybe and maybe not. Normally we only guarantee that GNAT can be
> bootstrapped with the most recent version. We have made an exception
> for the sources at gnu.org, and they can definitely be compiled with
> either 3.13 or 3.14.  But 3.12 is definitely trying something we
> don't recommend

For most architectures supported by GNAT, version 3.12p is the most
recent public version.

* Re: Continuing problems trying to build Ada
@ 2001-11-10 16:59 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-11-10 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, starner

<<Maybe it would be a good idea to start trying it, since people are going
to build GNAT with whatever's on the system. In any case, shouldn't the
full bootstrap make up for any deficencies that don't prevent the build?

Maybe and maybe not. Normally we only guarantee that GNAT can be bootstrapped
with the most recent version. We have made an exception for the sources
at gnu.org, and they can definitely be compiled with either 3.13 or 3.14.
But 3.12 is definitely trying something we don't recommend and which may
or may not work. It is not something that ACT is interested in supporting.
But if someone tries it and it works, by all means report it here!
(and then we will know it is OK, as you say, if it seems to work, it
probably is working :-)

* Re: Continuing problems trying to build Ada
@ 2001-11-10 15:22 ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2001-11-10 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 05:44:44PM -0500, dewar@gnat.com wrote:
> Why are you using 3.12p instead of 3.13p.

Probably because that's what comes prepackaged on his system.

> It may be that the ada sources
> can be built with 3.12, but if so, it is not something we know works, since
> we have never tried it.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start trying it, since people are going
to build GNAT with whatever's on the system. In any case, shouldn't the
full bootstrap make up for any deficencies that don't prevent the build?

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"I saw a daemon stare into my face, and an angel touch my breast; each

* Re: Continuing problems trying to build Ada
@ 2001-11-10  9:40 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-11-10  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, reg

Why are you using 3.12p instead of 3.13p. It may be that the ada sources