* Re: Top-level Makefile
@ 2001-11-22 20:31 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-22 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aoliva; +Cc: gcc

    Being too slow when processing certain constructs present in
    libstdc++-v3/configure is arguably a performance bug in whatever shell
    you're running, and setting CONFIG_SHELL to some more efficient shell
    is a possible work-around.

I did

	setenv CONFIG_SHELL /usr/local/bin/bash
	setenv SHELL /usr/local/bin/bash

and reran configure and exactly the same thing happened.

I don't see how either would override the "#/bin/sh", though.

I think this needs to be written in a way that shells that people are
goign to be using work reasonably.  Users aren't going to tolerate
configure times of nearly two hours any more than I am.

* Re: Top-level Makefile
@ 2001-11-24 18:04 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-24 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zack; +Cc: gcc

    Can you post the precise sequence of commands you are using, starting
    from an empty build directory?

Well I'm *not* starting from an empty build directory.  I'm doing
./config.status or explicitly rerunning configure.

* Re: Top-level Makefile
@ 2001-11-24 14:25 Richard Kenner
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-24 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dje; +Cc: gcc

	Note that I use

    $ make SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash ... bootstrap

    Setting the appropriate environment variables should be equivalent with
    GNU Make, but I am not sure.

You lost me.  I was doing configure, not make.

* Re: Top-level Makefile
@ 2001-11-22 20:28 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-22 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zack; +Cc: gcc

    - Put "set -x" at the top of the configure script, then post the last
      thirty or so lines of the output once it gets stuck.

+ echo nan.h
ac_safe=nan_h
+ echo checking for nan.h... \c
checking for nan.h... + echo configure:5085: checking for nan.h
+ echo ${ac_cv_header_nan_h+set}
+ eval test "${ac_cv_header_nan_h+set}" = set
+ test  = set
+ cat
ac_try=$CPP $CPPFLAGS conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
+ eval echo configure:5095: "$CPP $CPPFLAGS conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
"
+ echo configure:5095: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
+ grep -v ^conftest.c$
+ grep -v ^ *+ conftest.out
ac_err=
+ test -z
+ rm -rf conftest.c conftest.out
+ eval ac_cv_header_nan_h=yes
ac_cv_header_nan_h=yes
+ rm -f conftest*
+ echo $ac_cv_header_nan_h
+ eval test "$ac_cv_header_nan_h" = yes
+ test yes = yes
+ echo yes
yes
+ sed y%abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz./-%ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ___%
+ echo nan.h
ac_tr_hdr=HAVE_NAN_H
+ cat
+ sed y%./+-%__p_%
+ echo ieeefp.h
ac_safe=ieeefp_h
+ echo checking for ieeefp.h... \c

So it's not doing a whole lot, but doing it slowly: there are delays of
perhaps 5-10 seconds between a number of those lines.

    - Look in all the tmp directories your system has (/tmp, /usr/tmp,
      /var/tmp, etc) and see if there's a large number of scratch files
      created by the configure script.

Yes, 605 of them.

* Re: Top-level Makefile
@ 2001-11-21 14:38 Richard Kenner
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-21 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aoliva; +Cc: gcc

    make all does build with optimization, since it's assumed that this
    one is going to be installed.  make bootstrap builds stage1 without
    optimization.

OK, that makes sense.

    Try some more efficient shell, such as bash or at least ksh.

Well, the shell script has #!/bin/sh" in the first line, so that's the
one that's going to be used.  It needs to work reasonably with that one.

* Top-level Makefile
@ 2001-11-21 14:00 Richard Kenner
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-21 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I tried it and it seemed to build GCC with -O2 in the initial directory.
This seems wrong since you want to be able to debug that one easily.  It's
the ones built during bootstrap that should be -O2.

So it seems you need to do "make" in the gcc directory *first* and then
do the top-level make.  Is that correct?

BTW, my configure for libstdc++v3 is still running and it's been over an
hour and 45 minutes.