From: <guerby@acm.org>
To: fw@deneb.enyo.de
Cc: bosch@gnat.com, zack@codesourcery.com, minyard@acm.org, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Ada build now requires gnatmake?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 14:58:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I don't know if the old rules about not depending on the secondary
stack still apply, from the current Makefile.in I'd infer that only
gnat1 does not depend on s-secsta, gnatbind and all other tools do.

Anyway, the xtools are useful only on reasonable build machines where
your do expect to do regular development, so I don't think the gnat1
restriction apply if they still exist. The generated files are target
independant so you're free to build them on any reasonable machine and
transfer them, that's why no one really bothered with Makefile rules
up to now, and when they were put in, a preexisting gnatmake was
deemed an appropriate requirement. We can lower the requirement to
just gnat1 and gnatbind but it doesn't have much value added.

Note that the existing Makefile rules do have the value of getting an
error if you do not have up to date generated files and no gnatmake,
which is a much better situation than silently building a crashing
compiler. I guess Corey is thankful to this, the problem was caught in
a few minutes instead of painful hours of debugging :).

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby@acm.org>