From: DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com>
To: jade6@kolumbus.fi
Cc: gcc@gnu.org
Subject: Re: installation
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> Why couldn't people simply do what Sun has done with Java:

This is a volunteer effort.  If *you* want something done, the best
way to get it done is to do it yourself.  Otherwise, we address
problems that *we* think are important, and since most people don't
have problems installing gcc, it's low in the priority list.

> "Where can I find a normal command-line version of GCC which can be hooked
> up with the Win API / MFC easily?"
>
> That is, no UNIX emulator crap, just standard MS-DOS.

You are asking the impossible.  MS-DOS does not have a Windows API.
If you don't even understand the platform you're working on, don't
expect to understand something as complex as development tools either.

> As far as I know, DJGPP can't be used with the Win API very easily,

Well, it is a *dos* compiler, not a *windows* compiler.  If you want
to use the Windows API, you should start with a Windows compiler, such
as Cygwin (unix emulator, www.cygwin.com) or MinGW (no emulator,
www.mingw.org).

> and its documentation sucks bad,

I'm insulted, especially since I've got a whole mailbox full of
compliments from people who found DJGPP to be far easier to use than
other (well, non-gcc) compilers, especially the comprehensive
documentation and well laid out web site and FAQ.  If you have
*specific* complaints, let us know.  Generalities like you give don't
help anyone.

> not to mention that the error messages are mostly useless

Don't expect me to jump to fix them if you don't even say which error
messages you're talking about.

> and it seems kinda unstable anyway.

Huh?  Again, I've got a mailbox full of contrary opinions from DJGPP
users.  I mean, DJGPP is *so* stable that it takes us years to
accumulate enough bug fixes to warrant a new release.  How much more
stability do you need?

> Sorry about the tone, but this thing has been bothering me for a
> long time. Why isn't something being done? It's been 3 decades.

It has not been 3 decades.  DJGPP alone is only 12 years old. Please
get your information straight before you start blaming us for your
problems.