* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 14:42 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-02-02 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.A.K.Mouw, tommy; +Cc: gcc

>>"optimised" is the correct British English spelling.

This is a common misconception, but it is that, a misconception. While the
's' spellings are definitely standard in Australia, in England there is
still considerably unclarity on this issue. In particular, the OED second
edition lists ONLY the 'z' spelling and does not even recognize the
possibility of the 's' spelling (optimise) as an acceptable alternative.

It is indeed the case that many educated british writers use the 's' spelling
and for example the Economist usually seems to prefer the 's' spelling (a
fact implicitly recognized in the OED, since there is a quote from the
Economist with the 's' spelling).

So it is a bit over-reaching to say that optimise is wrong, whatever the
OED says, but to declare that "optimise" is *the* correct British English
spelling is also definitely over-reaching.

The bottom line is that you should always use the 'z' spelling for all
these words all the time, and you are then not wrong in either American
or British usage.

This is of course off-topic, but since documentation styles and rules are
at least remotely connected, it is useful for people to know this. I often
find that non-british writers are the most adamant in making the above
claim (sort of like the French being adamant in stating that upper case
letters do not have accents in French).

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 15:23 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2002-02-02 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: tommy, gcc

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 05:42:43PM -0500, Robert Dewar wrote:
> >>"optimised" is the correct British English spelling.
>
> This is a common misconception, but it is that, a misconception. While the
> 's' spellings are definitely standard in Australia, in England there is
> still considerably unclarity on this issue. In particular, the OED second
> edition lists ONLY the 'z' spelling and does not even recognize the
> possibility of the 's' spelling (optimise) as an acceptable alternative.
>
> It is indeed the case that many educated british writers use the 's' spelling
> and for example the Economist usually seems to prefer the 's' spelling (a
> fact implicitly recognized in the OED, since there is a quote from the
> Economist with the 's' spelling).
>
> So it is a bit over-reaching to say that optimise is wrong, whatever the
> OED says, but to declare that "optimise" is *the* correct British English
> spelling is also definitely over-reaching.
>
> The bottom line is that you should always use the 'z' spelling for all
> these words all the time, and you are then not wrong in either American
> or British usage.

Interesting. I remember my teacher telling it just the other way
around.

> This is of course off-topic, but since documentation styles and rules are
> at least remotely connected, it is useful for people to know this. I often
> find that non-british writers are the most adamant in making the above
> claim (sort of like the French being adamant in stating that upper case
> letters do not have accents in French).

Probably because non-british writers learned it that way at school (at
least I did), and/or have to check a (British) dictionary. An extra
problem is of course that english spelling and pronunciation are
sometimes not even remotely connected.

Now let's start a disk vs. disc thread ;)

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 18:45 ` John Levon
From: John Levon @ 2002-02-02 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 05:42:43PM -0500, Robert Dewar wrote:

> This is a common misconception, but it is that, a misconception. While the
> 's' spellings are definitely standard in Australia, in England there is
> still considerably unclarity on this issue. In particular, the OED second
> edition lists ONLY the 'z' spelling and does not even recognize the
> possibility of the 's' spelling (optimise) as an acceptable alternative.

and the OED is infamous for this particular idiosyncracy (at least as famous
as the "interesting" spelling of Shakespeare)

;)

john

--
"Mathemeticians stand on each other's shoulders while computer scientists
 stand on each other's toes."

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 18:55     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-02-02 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Rodrigues; +Cc: Tommy Dugandzic, gcc

Tommy> s/optimised/optimized/

Tom> Thanks, I'll check in a fix for this shortly.

Craig> Why? "Optimized" is the spelling that is currently used throughout
Craig> the GCC documentation.

My patch changed the text from "ise" to "ize".

Tom

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 18:48   ` Craig Rodrigues
From: Craig Rodrigues @ 2002-02-02 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Tommy Dugandzic, gcc

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 07:42:41PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Tommy> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/faq.html#4_1
> Tommy> 4.2 Can GCJ only handle source code?
> Tommy> s/optimised/optimized/
>
> Thanks, I'll check in a fix for this shortly.

Why? "Optimized" is the spelling that is currently used throughout
the GCC documentation.

There was a thread regarding such spelling conventions here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-10/subjects.html#00621
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 18:23 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-02-02 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommy Dugandzic; +Cc: gcc

Tommy> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/faq.html#4_1
Tommy> s/Programing Issues/Programming Issues/

Thanks, I've fixed this.

Tom

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 18:22 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-02-02 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommy Dugandzic; +Cc: gcc

@ 2002-02-02 15:57   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2002-02-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Mouw; +Cc: Tommy Dugandzic, gcc

On Feb  2, 2002, Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:59:43PM +0100, Tommy Dugandzic wrote:
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/faq.html#4_1
>>
>> 4.2 Can GCJ only handle source code?
>>
>> s/optimised/optimized/

> "optimised" is the correct British English spelling.

But GCC adopts the American English spelling.

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 15:35 ` Kevin Handy
From: Kevin Handy @ 2002-02-02 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Robert Dewar wrote:

>or algorithm vs algorism :-)

Its al-gore-rhythm (named after the inventor of the internet).

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 15:24 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-02-02 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.A.K.Mouw, dewar; +Cc: gcc, tommy

or algorithm vs algorism :-)

* Re: Typo.
@ 2002-02-02 13:24 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2002-02-02 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommy Dugandzic; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:59:43PM +0100, Tommy Dugandzic wrote:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/faq.html#4_1
>
> 4.2 Can GCJ only handle source code?
>
> s/optimised/optimized/

"optimised" is the correct British English spelling.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,
PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands  Phone: +31-15-2783635
Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* Typo.
@ 2002-01-31 15:30 Tommy Dugandzic
From: Tommy Dugandzic @ 2002-01-31 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)