* What is a successful build?
@ 2002-02-24 13:39 Stephen L Moshier
From: Stephen L Moshier @ 2002-02-24 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

According to

  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html

gcc-3.0.4 builds successfully on various computers, but the
regression test results are not discussed very much.

For example,

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-02/msg01345.html

says it builds on sparc-sun-solaris2.7 but the message does not mention
the 450 unexpected libjava failures and other testsuite failures that
happened when I tried to build it.  The documentation does not seem to
mention anything special about java on this computer system, and four
different choices of configuration options gave substantially
identical results.  Are these regressions well known?  Are these
problems documented somewhere?  Is this really a success?

		=== libstdc++-v3 Summary ===

# of expected passes		247
# of unexpected successes	1
# of expected failures		7

		=== libjava Summary ===

# of expected passes		482
# of unexpected failures	450
# of unexpected successes	2
# of expected failures		14
# of untested testcases		768

		=== gcc Summary ===

# of expected passes		15286
# of unexpected failures	1
# of expected failures		78
# of unresolved testcases	3
# of unsupported tests		49

		=== g++ Summary ===

# of expected passes		6493
# of unexpected failures	10
# of expected failures		103
# of untested testcases		19

		=== g77 Summary ===

# of expected passes		939
# of unsupported tests		8

		=== objc Summary ===

# of expected passes		153
# of expected failures		1

* Re: What is a successful build?
@ 2002-02-24 13:44 ` Christian Jönsson
From: Christian Jönsson @ 2002-02-24 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 04:28:40PM -0500, Stephen L Moshier wrote:

> According to
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html
>
> gcc-3.0.4 builds successfully on various computers, but the
> regression test results are not discussed very much.
>
> For example,
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-02/msg01345.html
>
> says it builds on sparc-sun-solaris2.7 but the message does not mention
> the 450 unexpected libjava failures and other testsuite failures that
> happened when I tried to build it.  The documentation does not seem to
> mention anything special about java on this computer system, and four
> different choices of configuration options gave substantially
> identical results.  Are these regressions well known?  Are these
> problems documented somewhere?  Is this really a success?

well, the wording is successful build, right? :-) what has that to do
with test suite output? that's not part of the build, that's part of
the *check* of the built compilers and libraries and stuff.

seriously, I agree with what you mean. this could perhaps be addressed
somewhere by someone.

Cheers,

/ChJ

* Re: What is a successful build?
@ 2002-02-25 13:01 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2002-02-25 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, steve

Imagine a world where we run make check just after build and before
install, and if the line '# of unexpected failures' comes out in any
.log file, we don't install and fail the build.  :-)

Ok, I'll go away now...