* Problems with gcc
@ 2002-03-07  8:57 arking
From: arking @ 2002-03-07  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I do not know if I have encountered a bug, or something is wrong
with my install of gcc-2.95.3, or my OS.  (I ran into the same
problems with gcc-3.0.3.)  If I try to compile a Fortran program,
I get the following error message:

  aa/150: gcc main.f
  /usr/ccs/bin/real-ld: cannot open values-Xa.o: No such file or directory
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

[NOTE: /usr/ccs/bin/real-ld is a link to /usr/local/bin/ld, which is
part of the binutils pkg.]

Also, when I try to configure ssh-3.1.0, I get the following:

  aa/131# ./configure
  checking distribution consistency... done
  checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
  checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
  checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
  checking cached information... ok
  checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
  checking for working aclocal... missing
  checking for working autoconf... missing
  checking for working automake... missing
  checking for working autoheader... missing
  checking for working makeinfo... missing
  checking using purify... no
  checking for gcc... gcc
  checking for gcc... gcc
  checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works... no
  configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
  cannot create executables.

I would appreciate any advice.

Albert Arking
Dept of Earth and Planetary Sciences
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD  21218
E-MAIL: arking@jhu.edu

* Re: Problems with gcc
@ 2002-03-07 10:27 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2002-03-07 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arking; +Cc: gcc

On Mar  7, 2002, arking@jhu.edu wrote:

>   /usr/ccs/bin/real-ld: cannot open values-Xa.o: No such file or directory

This object file is part of Solaris, not of GCC.  Looks like you're
missing some development option of the Solaris installation on your
workstation.

* Re: Problems with gcc
@ 2002-03-07 10:44   ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-03-07 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: arking, gcc

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 03:26:56PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Mar  7, 2002, arking@jhu.edu wrote:
>
> >   /usr/ccs/bin/real-ld: cannot open values-Xa.o: No such file or directory
>
> This object file is part of Solaris, not of GCC.  Looks like you're
> missing some development option of the Solaris installation on your
> workstation.

Specifically, the SUNWarc package.  (And SUNWarcx for 64-bit support.)