* Dropping all back end stuff
@ 2002-04-02 10:52 Dennis Dams
From: Dennis Dams @ 2002-04-02 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm involved in a project in which we use the GCC front end (for C and
C++) as the basis for implementing various static analyses.

We would like to (at least temporarily) drop everything that goes on
in the back end. (Basically we don't need anything beyond the
intermediate tree representation.) This would help reduce the time it
takes for the frequent recompilations we do.

It seems that the only way to do this is to write our own make file
to compile only the sources that are relevant to the front end, and to
replace any back-end functions that are called from those sources with
dummies.

Does anybody have experience with this, or any advice, or alternative
suggestions?

thanks,
--Dennis Dams.

* Re: Dropping all back end stuff
@ 2002-04-02 21:45 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2002-04-02 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Dams; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 01:34:04PM -0500, Dennis Dams wrote:
> Does anybody have experience with this, or any advice, or alternative
> suggestions?

-fsyntax-only?

r~

* Re: Dropping all back end stuff
@ 2002-04-06  7:44 ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2002-04-06  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dennis; +Cc: gcc

The -fdump-translation-unit flag writes out a text representation of the
AST structures; other programs have used this as an interface to the
frontend.

Jason