From: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>
To: "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Illegal instruction on sparc32-linux
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 02:51:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Apr 18, David S. Miller wrote:

>    From: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>
>    Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:11:51 +0200
>
>    If I compile C++ programs with the latest gcc 3.1 snapshots on
>    sparc32-linux, some programs fails with "Illegal instruction".
>
>    This is reproduceable for me with groff, qt2 and qt3. Does anybody
>    else see this?
>
> Can you put the program under GDB so we can see what the instruction
> is that it is trapping on?

I tried it. But when I compile it with -g, I cannot reproduce it from
the shell or from gdb. But if I call "make", it fails again.

> I'm not seeing this at all, but I only do testing on UltraSPARC boxes
> for the sparc32 targets...

I also use a UltraSPARC for this. I compile groff and then run
"sparc32 make" in the groff/doc source directory and it fails
with:

export GROFF_TMAC_PATH; \
sed -e "s;@VERSION@;`cat ../VERSION``sed -e 's/^0$//' -e 's/^[1-9].*$/.&/' ../RE
VISION`;" pic.ms \
| ../src/roff/groff/groff -p -e -t -Tps -F../font -U -ms -mwww >pic.ps
../src/roff/groff/groff: troff: Illegal instruction

All other input files works fine. Same for uic from qt2 and qt3: If
I try to debug it, it works. And there are only a few input files
for which it fails, most input files works fine.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE Linux AG        Deutschherrenstr. 15-19       D-90429 Nuernberg