* GCC3.1 just released - already a system compiler
@ 2002-05-16  9:40 Eyal Ben-David
From: Eyal Ben-David @ 2002-05-16  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

Mandrake is using GCC-3.1 as the system compiler for their "Cooker"
development distribution. They compile everything with it. Many packages are
already compiled with GCC-3.1 (including kernel, glibc-2.2.5, KDE 3, Mozilla,
Perl,  and many more). I think their next distro will be based on GCC-3.1

I think Mandrake is doing a great service for testing GCC-3.1. Of course there
are some compatibility problems with other packages that were compiled with
their previous system compiler, but they are in a middle of the transition
period.

I think this answers some questions that were asked here (GCC release
criteria)

Thanks GCC Team
Eyal.

* Re: GCC3.1 just released - already a system compiler
@ 2002-05-17  3:41 ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2002-05-17  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eyal Ben-David; +Cc: gcc

Let me add some information from SuSE's side.  We have done during the
last months extensive testing of our disribution with GCC 3.1 on most
of our platforms (Alpha, ix86, x86-64, S390, PPC, ia64,...) and the
stability of the compiler is really good.

There're still a number of open issues (see the open GNATS report) but
nothing that I would call a showstopper.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de