* objdir == srcdir is completely unsupported
@ 2002-06-27 13:39 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2002-06-27 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, DJ Delorie; +Cc: Loren J. Rittle

...according to our documentation, at least since:

  2002-04-15  Loren J. Rittle  <ljrittle@acm.org>

        * doc/install.texi (Installing GCC: Configuration): Clarify
        the only supported ways to configure gcc.

  First, in general, GCC @strong{must} be built into a separate directory
  than the sources which does @strong{not} reside within the source tree.
  This is how almost all developers build GCC; building where @var{srcdir}
  == @var{objdir} is completely unsupported; building where @var{objdir}
  is a subdirectory of @var{srcdir} is completely unsupported.

I remember that I was a bit confused by this change and sent some message
to the list, but I failed to find further details apart from:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-04/msg00102.html ff

Well, given recent discussions here, concerning Phil's patch which was
later reverted, I'm still confused.

Is this way of building GCC supported, or is it not? (In the former case,
we probably should change the documentation.)

Gerald