* GCC Steering Committee decision on ISO C conversion
@ 2002-06-13  8:31 Kaveh R. Ghazi
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2002-06-13  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: shebs

The GCC Steering Committee was asked to consider dropping traditional
(K&R) C support in the GCC sources and allow converting everything to
ISO C.  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-06/msg00337.html

Various objections were raised primarily with regards to HPUX, which
by default ships with a traditional C compiler.  (Note HPUX is
currently one of the "primary" evaluation platforms.)

Out of deference to these objections, the committee agreed on a
compromise proposal which calls for converting the parts of the source
tree which are only compiled by GCC itself, thus ensuring that HPUX
users would continue to be able to bootstrap GCC for the 3.2 release
cycle.  The committee intends to revisit this issue for the 3.3
series.  Aside from the points already raised, one of the criteria
considered when this issue is brought up again may be whether
volunteers step forward to complete converting the portions we're
opening up now.

For volunteers willing to assist with the conversion, a general rule
of thumb is that we'll keep traditional C support in the parts of GCC
compiled by the stage1 bootstrap compiler.  However to avoid
confusion, below is an explicit list of the sections where we consider
traditional C required and those where we prefer ISO C.

Volunteers are encouraged to submit patches for this conversion in the
normal fashion for approval and installation.  However removal of
PARAMS from the proper areas can be checked in under the obvious rule
as long as other standard obligations are followed (e.g. proper
testing & mention of platform where it occurred, following coding
conventions, etc.)

ISO C Preferred
---------------
All non-C language frontends (cp, java, f, objc, ada)
Target libraries and modules (libgcc, crtstuff.c, fp-bit.c, libf2c,
libobjc, libjava, etc)

Traditional C Required
----------------------
libiberty
GCC backend (anything in libbackend.a)
C frontend (files named c-*)

GCC uses zlib (supports traditional C) and fastjar (written in ISO C)
and these directories are compiled by the stage1 compiler.  However
since these packages are imported and libjava is disabled on HPUX we
don't feel the need to make changes either way to these directories.

	The GCC Steering Committee

* Re: GCC Steering Committee decision on ISO C conversion
@ 2002-06-14  8:46 'David Scott Urban
From: 'David Scott Urban @ 2002-06-14  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave; +Cc: gcc

Found this searching ysing Altavista:

ANSI C89 or ISO C90 is still currently available but only in paper form. For
instance, Global Engineering Documents was carrying C89 (X3.159). Once at that
link, click US, enter "x3.159" in the document number (NOT the document title)
search box, and that'll get you the latest info from Global on this paper
document (last we checked it was US$148)

This was from a page dated Dec, 2001.

Hope this helps,

D. S. Urban
email : urban@ast.lmco.com
To be the person, you must know the person. To know the person, you must
understand the person. To understand the person, you must listen. To listen,
you must open your mind and put aside all preconceived ideas and notions.
All opinions expressed are my own not that of my employer

@ 2002-06-14 10:29 Bonzini
From: Bonzini @ 2002-06-14 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> From time to time non-ISO C89 code but valid ISO C99 (and C++)
> code creeps into the compiler: specifically declarations of
> variables after the first statement in a block:

Is it possible to add a warning for this, or to add a new language dialect
`gnu89' that allows GNU extensions that predate C99, but not C99-isms like
this that are bound to fail on C89 compilers?

|_  _  _ __
|_)(_)| ),'
------- '---

* Re: GCC Steering Committee decision on ISO C conversion
@ 2002-06-22  6:24 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-06-22  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ghazi, hp; +Cc: gcc

A comparable data point with Ada. Ada 83 was actually standardized
by ISO in 87, but no one would dream of ever saying Ada 87 :-)

* Re: GCC Steering Committee decision on ISO C conversion
@ 2002-06-30  4:13 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2002-06-30  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: ghazi

> And I'll let you in on a little secret.  I believe the HP's
> traditional compiler *understands* string concatenation!
>
> Why do I say this?  Because libiberty/regex.c uses it an no one has
> complained.  Maybe someone can confirm this...

While the hpux11 native compiler can build libiberty/regex.c in 32-bit
mode (don't know about 64-bit), pcc based systems definitely choke
compiling it (eg., vax-ultrix).  Thus, let me be the first to complain ;-)
Since libiberty is used for more than gcc, I think this needs to be fixed.

A whole bunch of ISO stuff has snuck into 3.2.  Fortunately, 3.1.1
still will build all languages but java) starting with the
native C compiler.  The java build fails because it needs libiconv.
There is ISO stuff in iconv.h and the configure test fails.
Possibly if the configure test defined "const" to be "", this could
be fixed.

Dave