* managed C++ compiler for Mono ?
@ 2002-08-02  7:34 Freddy BL
From: Freddy BL @ 2002-08-02  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi GCC-Team!

Is it possible, that you extend the C++-compiler with .net-Features or
creating a second C++-compiler which is the same like g++ with some
.net-extensions?

The MSC++.net Compiler have some interesting features. You can mix with it
native and .net code.

On the Mono-Mailinglist (Mono is a free implementation the ECMA-standardized
.net for Linux/Unix, Windows, MacOS and other Systems. For more infos look
at http://www.go-mono.org) there was a discussion about the MS-compiler C#,
VB.NET and C++.net, which all create binary-code for .net-VM.

At first I thought that the MSC++.net-Compiler are two compilers. Which I
have written here:
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2002-July/001202.html

But the best comment for this comes from Serge, who have shown an example of
a program, which have mixed code of using ANSI-C++-libraries and
.net-libraries.
Look at his comments at
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2002-July/001207.html
and
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2002-July/001209.html

After that I found it so interesting, that I ask, how a compiler like this
must look on mono:
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2002-July/001225.html

The answer of Miguel (the mono-project-leader) was, that its the best, if
the Compiler is the g++ with .net-extensions:
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2002-August/001233.html

So, is it possible (or already planed) to create a "managed C++" comnpiler?
A Compiler which have the .net-features of the MSC++.net-Compiler, but which
used Mono as .net-runtime?

For this I think, it is better, if both projects (GCC and Mono) work
together on a compiler like this.
So, it would be nice, if you write your answers to the Mono-list at
mono-list@ximian.com , too.

Greatings
Freddy BL

Testen Sie MSN Messenger für Ihren Online-Chat mit Freunden:
http://messenger.msn.de

* Re: managed C++ compiler for Mono ?
@ 2002-08-02  9:47 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2002-08-02  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Freddy BL; +Cc: gcc

> Is it possible, that you extend the C++-compiler with .net-Features or
> creating a second C++-compiler which is the same like g++ with some
> .net-extensions?

There is no spare labor among the current C++ maintainers.  If a
contributor volunteers to do the work, he/she may find some assistance
here.  But there aren't any existing C++ maintainers with extra time on
their hands.

I'm sure you'll find that politics will intrude as well, but in the
absence of volunteers political issues don't matter (no use arguing
whether something should be done if there's no one to do it anyway).