* Can't buld libjava on Linux
@ 2002-08-12 10:41 Douglas B Rupp
From: Douglas B Rupp @ 2002-08-12 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Using the latest trunk sources from this morning and trying to build libjava
I get:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `gnu/java/security/der/DEREncodingException.java', needed by
`gnu/java/security/der/DEREncodingException.class'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rupp/devel-trunk/build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libjava'
make: *** [all-target-libjava] Error 2

Am I doing something wrong?  Is libjava known to be broken?

--Douglas Rupp

* Re: Can't buld libjava on Linux
@ 2002-08-12 10:47 ` Graham Stott
From: Graham Stott @ 2002-08-12 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas B Rupp; +Cc: gcc

Douglas B Rupp wrote:

* Re: Can't buld libjava on Linux
@ 2002-08-12 11:03   ` Douglas B Rupp
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Douglas B Rupp @ 2002-08-12 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Stott; +Cc: gcc

> Have you updated you tree recently I know libjava had a big update last week
> adding serveral new directories.
>
> Graham

I used cvs update just this morning, but evidently "update" doesn't get new
directories.  I had to use "co" to get them just now.
I don't know cvs that well, is "co" the preferred method to use?

--Doug

* Re: Can't buld libjava on Linux
@ 2002-08-12 11:06     ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2002-08-12 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas B Rupp; +Cc: Graham Stott, gcc

cvs up -d -P is the preferred method of updating the sources.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

@ 2002-08-12 11:07     ` Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2002-08-12 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas B Rupp; +Cc: Graham Stott, gcc

Douglas B Rupp wrote:-

> > Have you updated you tree recently I know libjava had a big update last week
> > adding serveral new directories.
> >
> > Graham
>
> I used cvs update just this morning, but evidently "update" doesn't get new
> directories.  I had to use "co" to get them just now.
> I don't know cvs that well, is "co" the preferred method to use?

I find these settings in my .cvsrc useful:

log -N
diff -u -p -N
update -d -P
cvs -q -z6

That fixes the directory issue.

Neil.

* Re: Can't buld libjava on Linux
@ 2002-08-12 11:30       ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2002-08-12 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Andrew Pinski writes:
 > On Monday, August 12, 2002, at 02:03 , Douglas B Rupp wrote:
 > >> Have you updated you tree recently I know libjava had a big
 > >> update last week
 > >> adding serveral new directories.
 > >>
 > >> Graham
 > >
 > > I used cvs update just this morning, but evidently "update"
 > > doesn't get new
 > > directories.  I had to use "co" to get them just now.
 > > I don't know cvs that well, is "co" the preferred method to use?
 > >
 > cvs up -d -P is the preferred method of updating the sources.

The trouble with that command is that it can get you modules you never
checked out in the first place.  "cvs co" gets you just the modules
you want.

Andrew.

* Re: Can't buld libjava on Linux
@ 2002-08-12 11:34         ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2002-08-12 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: gcc

But with gcj the only three modules you might not want are objc,
ada, and fortan but the rest you need for java.

objc is small and ada does not add any time to bootstraping
gcc unless you have an Ada compiler already.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

@ 2002-08-13 19:17     ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2002-08-13 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas B Rupp; +Cc: Graham Stott, gcc

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:03:32AM -0700, Douglas B Rupp wrote:
> I don't know cvs that well, is "co" the preferred method to use?

"./contrib/gcc_update" is the preferred method.

r~