From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@uni-mannheim.de>
To: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>
Cc: gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: automatic bootstrap failure notification
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:23:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:55:08AM -0700, Janis Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:05:22PM +0200, Robert Schiele wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > as some may have already noticed, I am sending the results of the
> > regression tests after successful bootstrap processes to
> > gcc-testresults from my automatic build system for some time now.
> >
> > I am currently adding a feature to this build system that allows
> > sending automatic notification messages with some relevant information
> > when bootstraping fails.
> >
> > Would sending such messages to gcc-testresults be welcome or would
> > such messages be seen as annoying?
>
> I think this is a good idea.  It would be useful if everyone who has
> automated builds regularly sending test results to gcc-testresults
> also sent mail there about bootstrap failures, particularly if they
> used the same (or similar) scripts to generate those messages so they
> had similar information.

Ok, I have simulated a bootstrap failure by killing make during
bootstrap.  This made the system to send the message
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-08/msg00451.html to
gcc-testresults.

Feel free to send comments about the message contents.

To be complete I am attaching the script used for this purpose.  But
be warned: This is currently just a fast and ugly bash hack.  You may
do with the files what you like as long as it conforms with the GPL
and you remove my email address from the NOTIFY_FAILURE variable
_please_.  But it might make sense to do a somewhat cleaner
implementation for general usage.  But comments for the current script
are also welcome.

The file autobuild.common is the one that matters.  This file should
never be called directly, but by a configuration script.  I also
attached a sample of such a configuration script for reference.  Up to
now I was too lazy to write real documentation. ;-)

Robert