* Thanks to everybody
@ 2002-08-23 16:37 Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2002-08-23 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Mac OS X 10.2, aka Jaguar, is officially going on sale tonight, and I
just wanted to take a moment to thank everybody for their hard work on
GCC 3.1, the system compiler for Jaguar.

This OS release is the first to use a new process for our compiler
development, based on importing snapshots, rather than adding all of
the required local changes to a final FSF release.  As a result, we
were able to get a much more current compiler into Mac OS X than ever
before.  This was only possible because of the uniformly high quality
of the code; we encountered very very few compiler crashes and codegen
bugs in the vast amount of source code that makes up Jaguar, and most
of the bugs we did see were due to our own changes.

So now, if you want to explain to family or friends just what it is
that you do, you can take them down to an Apple store or to any
retailer carrying Macs, point to a flashy new flat-panel iMac or
Tibook running OS X, and say "I helped make that happen".

Again, thank you, and I hope we'll be repaying the favor with a bunch
of general improvements in the coming months.

Stan

* Re: Thanks to everybody
@ 2002-08-28  9:45 ` Aldy Hernandez
From: Aldy Hernandez @ 2002-08-28  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: gcc

 > So now, if you want to explain to family or friends just what it is
 > that you do, you can take them down to an Apple store or to any
 > retailer carrying Macs, point to a flashy new flat-panel iMac or
 > Tibook running OS X, and say "I helped make that happen".

Great!  Now my parents will finally know what I do.  I think their
usual response is "something with computers, I don't know".

Aldy

* Re: Thanks to everybody
@ 2002-08-28 10:21   ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2002-08-28 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:46:04AM -0400, Aldy Hernandez wrote:

>  > So now, if you want to explain to family or friends just what it is
>  > that you do, you can take them down to an Apple store or to any
>  > retailer carrying Macs, point to a flashy new flat-panel iMac or
>  > Tibook running OS X, and say "I helped make that happen".
>
> Great!  Now my parents will finally know what I do.  I think their
> usual response is "something with computers, I don't know".

ROFLMAO! I thought it was only *my* parents that said that, especially
the "something with computers" part.

Kurt