* please be aware of the versioning on the C++ compiler
@ 2002-08-28 21:16 Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2002-08-28 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: jason, mark

Hey y'all. Recently patches went in to address some C++ ABI issues.

For gcc:

For gcc-3_2-branch:

In the future, may I suggest that the following happen:

1) you add "C++ ABI change" to the ChangeLog entry.
2) you add notes to cp/NEWS for ABI breaks
3) you add a testsuite entry
4) you update __GXX_ABI_VERSION
5) you run 'make check-abi' in libstdc++-v3 in addition to make-check
6) if 5 breaks update the libstdc++.so

I don't consider this outlandish. Do you?

-benjamin

* Re: please be aware of the versioning on the C++ compiler
@ 2002-08-28 22:42 ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2002-08-28 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: gcc, mark

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:03:08 -0700, Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey y'all. Recently patches went in to address some C++ ABI issues.
>
> For gcc:
>
> For gcc-3_2-branch:
>
> In the future, may I suggest that the following happen:
>
> 1) you add "C++ ABI change" to the ChangeLog entry.
> 2) you add notes to cp/NEWS for ABI breaks
> 4) you update __GXX_ABI_VERSION

No; this patch is a bug fix, not an ABI change.

> 3) you add a testsuite entry
> 5) you run 'make check-abi' in libstdc++-v3 in addition to make-check
> 6) if 5 breaks update the libstdc++.so

OK.

Jason

* Re: please be aware of the versioning on the C++ compiler
@ 2002-08-28 22:51   ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2002-08-28 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: gcc, mark

> > In the future, may I suggest that the following happen:
> >
> > 1) you add "C++ ABI change" to the ChangeLog entry.
> > 2) you add notes to cp/NEWS for ABI breaks
> > 4) you update __GXX_ABI_VERSION
>
> No; this patch is a bug fix, not an ABI change.

Thanks for the clarification.

> > 3) you add a testsuite entry
> > 5) you run 'make check-abi' in libstdc++-v3 in addition to make-check
> > 6) if 5 breaks update the libstdc++.so
>
> OK.

Great. So, are we in agreement that the above 6 steps sound like a
sensible plan for communicating C++ ABI changes going forward? Is there
anything else you'd like to add?

I think the above is both minimal and sufficient for the time being.
Some of it was already being done, but in more of a piecemeal fashion
and often months after changes went in.

@ 2002-09-12  7:34 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2002-09-12  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: gcc, Jason Merrill, Mark Mitchell

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> In the future, may I suggest that the following happen:
>
> 1) you add "C++ ABI change" to the ChangeLog entry.
> 2) you add notes to cp/NEWS for ABI breaks
> 3) you add a testsuite entry
> 4) you update __GXX_ABI_VERSION
> 5) you run 'make check-abi' in libstdc++-v3 in addition to make-check
> 6) if 5 breaks update the libstdc++.so

Somewhere (around 2) also gcc-3.x/changes.html should be updated).

(For GCC 3.1/3.2 I manually copied relevant parts from cp/NEWS and marked
it up manually but in the long term we should find a better approach.)

Gerald