* Passing -Wabi to all target libraries
@ 2002-08-29 10:11 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-08-29 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I worked up a patch to always build libstdc++ with -Wabi, and then thought
that perhaps all C++-using target libraries should have this on.  What are
people's thoughts on this?

The easiest way, I think, would be to pass it as part of the toplevel
configure.in's CXX_FOR_TARGET.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: Passing -Wabi to all target libraries
@ 2002-08-29 13:28 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2002-08-29 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: gcc

> I worked up a patch to always build libstdc++ with -Wabi, and then thought
> that perhaps all C++-using target libraries should have this on.  What are
> people's thoughts on this?

Yes, it's a good idea.

* Re: Passing -Wabi to all target libraries
@ 2002-09-03 13:38   ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-09-03 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 01:28:17PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:

> > I worked up a patch to always build libstdc++ with -Wabi, and then thought
> > that perhaps all C++-using target libraries should have this on.  What are
> > people's thoughts on this?
>
> Yes, it's a good idea.

Someone else will have to do it.  I have been defeated by toplevel configury.

- Makefile.in sets and passes both CXXFLAGS_FOR_TARGET and
  LIBCXXFLAGS_FOR_TARGET, but in target libraries, sets CXXFLAGS to the
  first, not the second.  I don't know what the second variable is meant
  to be used for, given that it /isn't/ used even though all the targets
  are libraries.

- Adding -Wabi to CXXFLAGS_FOR_TARGET doesn't change anything, because the
  assignment on line 141 of Makefile.in is later overridden (not appended
  to) by a fragment inserted into the generated Makefile.  I don't know
  which fragment or where it comes from.  The variable is not documented as
  "this is substituted by configure," so this took a while to debug.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002