* GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 10:06 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2002-09-27 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I just got mail about a "a GCC specific technical conference to happen
in Ottawa from April 15th to the 18th."

Is this event officially supported by the steering committee?

Andrew.

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 10:24   ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2002-09-27 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: gcc

Andrew> I just got mail about a "a GCC specific technical conference to happen
Andrew> in Ottawa from April 15th to the 18th."

Andrew> Is this event officially supported by the steering committee?

	I have heard from two or three different people proposing a GCC
conference.  It would be nice if these people worked together instead of
planning conflicting events.

David

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 10:28     ` Andrew Haley
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Haley @ 2002-09-27 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: gcc

David Edelsohn writes:

 > Andrew> I just got mail about a "a GCC specific technical conference to happen
 > Andrew> in Ottawa from April 15th to the 18th."
 >
 > Andrew> Is this event officially supported by the steering committee?
 >
 > 	I have heard from two or three different people proposing a GCC
 > conference.  It would be nice if these people worked together instead of
 > planning conflicting events.

This is bizarre.  You would have thought they'd at least make some
attempt to co-ordinate with the steering committee.  Assuming they're
not totally clueless, that is.

Anyway, I imagine that Ottawa from April 15th to the 18th is not such
a bad choice.

Andrew.

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 10:38         ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2002-09-27 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: David Edelsohn, gcc

Phil Edwards writes:
 > The conference was first proposed in early June, with sporadic followup
 > messages since then.  A mailing list to organize the conference has been
 > set up[*], but apparently not much has been happening.
 >
 > I'm assuming that these recent private messages (I got one to) are the
 > same conference, although they don't say so.

As far as I can see it isn't the same conference at all.

Andrew.

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 10:43     ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2002-09-27 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: gcc

Diego Novillo writes:
 > On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Andrew Haley wrote:
 >
 > > I just got mail about a "a GCC specific technical conference to happen
 > > in Ottawa from April 15th to the 18th."
 > >
 > Got the same message.  There was at least another conference that
 > got kickstarted earlier this year.  They organized a mailing
 > list, but I haven't heard anything for a while now.

Well, perhaps we should do it.  I'm in favour.

Andrew.

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 10:43         ` Andrew J. Hutton
From: Andrew J. Hutton @ 2002-09-27 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 13:25, Phil Edwards wrote:
> The conference was first proposed in early June, with sporadic followup
> messages since then.  A mailing list to organize the conference has been
> set up[*], but apparently not much has been happening.
>
> I'm assuming that these recent private messages (I got one to) are the
> same conference, although they don't say so.

Not specifically no.  I am also involved in the Ottawa Linux Symposium,
and the Kernel Summit.  I consider GCC another core technology and in
many private discussions over the years the desire for a GCC event has
been expressed.

Basically the mail I sent out was to get some more background
information so that I can become more familiar with the people involved
and what they believe would have the most value.

--
Steamballoon Incorporated, Linux Professional Services, Developer
Support for the GNU Toolchain, Open Source Migration Consulting

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 10:43       ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2002-09-27 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Andrew Haley wrote:

> Diego Novillo writes:
>  > On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Andrew Haley wrote:
>  >
>  > > I just got mail about a "a GCC specific technical conference to happen
>  > > in Ottawa from April 15th to the 18th."
>  > >
>  > Got the same message.  There was at least another conference that
>  > got kickstarted earlier this year.  They organized a mailing
>  > list, but I haven't heard anything for a while now.
>
> Well, perhaps we should do it.  I'm in favour.

Me too.  I would just like to coordinate activities so that we
don't end up with overlapping conferences.  There's certainly
more than enough topics to cover.

Diego.

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 11:04   ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2002-09-27 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Andrew Haley wrote:

> I just got mail about a "a GCC specific technical conference to happen
> in Ottawa from April 15th to the 18th."

Got the same message.  There was at least another conference that
got kickstarted earlier this year.  They organized a mailing
list, but I haven't heard anything for a while now.

Diego.

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 11:20       ` Phil Edwards
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-09-27 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: David Edelsohn, gcc

The conference was first proposed in early June, with sporadic followup
messages since then.  A mailing list to organize the conference has been
set up[*], but apparently not much has been happening.

I'm assuming that these recent private messages (I got one to) are the
same conference, although they don't say so.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 16:19       ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2002-09-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: David Edelsohn, gcc

Andrew Haley wrote:

> Anyway, I imagine that Ottawa from April 15th to the 18th is not such
> a bad choice.

What's the weather there around that time ?  I've only been close to
Ottawa in the second week of July '96, and that was a reasonable time
period ...

OK, without kiddin', apparently the motivation for this call was to get
people involved in various "core technologies" around GNU/Linux to
appear in Ottawa.  As we need a GCC conference anyway, it might as well
be this venue.

[If you want to be scared away from such mega-gatherings, read Asimov's
  "Let's get together" :-) ]

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-09-27 17:01         ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2002-09-27 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: gcc

>What's the weather there around that time ?

Variable.  In Toronto, we had one week with highs in the 20s (70+F), and
then the next week we got snow.

There are some statistics for Ottawa at:
        http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weatherstatistics/static/C01930.htm
The mean temperature in April is 6C (43F), with an average daily high of 11C
(52F).  That is only 1-2 degrees cooler on average than the Netherlands at the
same time of year according to the same site.

Jim

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-10-02  8:14       ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2002-10-02  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: David Edelsohn, gcc

 In message <15764.37683.587049.850175@cuddles.cambridge.redhat.com>, Andrew
Haley writes:
 >This is bizarre.  You would have thought they'd at least make some
 >attempt to co-ordinate with the steering committee.  Assuming they're
 >not totally clueless, that is.
Andrew Hutton has contacted a number of folks to measure interest and
availability.  I don't think that he necessarily needed to talk to
the steering committee since this really isn't a political issue.

Jeff

* Re: GCC Conference?
@ 2002-10-02  8:42         ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2002-10-02  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: Andrew Haley, David Edelsohn, gcc

In message <20020927132510.A20132@disaster.jaj.com>, Phil Edwards writes:
 >The conference was first proposed in early June, with sporadic followup
 >messages since then.  A mailing list to organize the conference has been
 >set up[*], but apparently not much has been happening.
Right.  And this is one of the reasons why I think we should seriously
look at working with Andrew.  I think there's enough going on in GCC
that getting folks together would be beneficial for the project.

jeff