* gnu on solaris
@ 2002-10-03 13:47 Nathan Sidwell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2002-10-03 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,
Unless I'm building things stupidly, current gnu tools seem awkward &|
unusable on sparc-solaris. This is a convergence of binutils/gcc/gdb
issues, and I'd like to check that it's not just me,
I tested this on sparc-sun-solaris2.8

1) binutils 2.13 can't build shared objects - well, it builds them
but they segfault. This manifested as an immediate segfault in c++
programs compiled by a subsequently built g++. binutils tests
passed (IIRC). This took a little tracking, and of course the obvious
suspect (the new compiler) was innocent.

2) config & building required
	CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash SHELL=/bin/bash ../gcc/configure ...
	make CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash SHELL=/bin/bash bootstrap
without telling make, the build forgets partway through that I said use
bash, not sh, and went back to using /bin/sh in a place where it fails.

3) gdb 5.2 & 5.2.1 couldn't read some 3.3pre core files. this seemed a
bit flakey, but on a 3.2 generated core, gdb went into some kind of
infinite loop requiring a kill -9. gdb 5.0 was ok, but has problems
with C++ structures (it thinks many of them are incomplete)

the current install.texi file does not document these issues.

nathan

--
Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
          'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'

* Re: gnu on solaris
@ 2002-10-03 14:03 ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2002-10-03 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: gcc

Nathan Sidwell <nathan@codesourcery.com> writes:

| Hi,
| Unless I'm building things stupidly, current gnu tools seem awkward &|
| unusable on sparc-solaris. This is a convergence of binutils/gcc/gdb
| issues, and I'd like to check that it's not just me,
| I tested this on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
|
| 1) binutils 2.13 can't build shared objects - well, it builds them
| but they segfault.

Same here -- while a bit different: it can't find some symbols (which
are actually defined).  I tried CVS version (2.13.90 from last August)
which seems to work.

[...]

| 3) gdb 5.2 & 5.2.1 couldn't read some 3.3pre core files.

(I bet there are related to DWARF info, right?).  Again here, I
switched to CVS version.

[...]

| the current install.texi file does not document these issues.

:-(

I don't know if you have the patience for trying CVS versions for some
of those tools -- it IS sad GCC should require CVS versions of
fundamental tools.

Good luck.

-- Gaby

* Re: gnu on solaris
@ 2002-10-03 14:48 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2002-10-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
> 1) binutils 2.13 can't build shared objects - well, it builds them
> but they segfault. This manifested as an immediate segfault in c++
> programs compiled by a subsequently built g++. binutils tests
> passed (IIRC). This took a little tracking, and of course the obvious
> suspect (the new compiler) was innocent.

It's probably the now-default "-z combreloc", discussed on the
binutils mailing list.

brgds, H-P

* Re: gnu on solaris
@ 2002-10-03 16:55 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2002-10-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 08:59:23PM +0100, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
> 1) binutils 2.13 can't build shared objects - well, it builds them
> but they segfault.

Fixed in cvs.  Update or revert to 2.12.

> 2) config & building required
> 	CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash SHELL=/bin/bash ../gcc/configure ...
> 	make CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash SHELL=/bin/bash bootstrap
> without telling make, the build forgets partway through that I said use
> bash, not sh, and went back to using /bin/sh in a place where it fails.

I've never had a problem with this.

> 3) gdb 5.2 & 5.2.1 couldn't read some 3.3pre core files.

You'll have to work with the gdb folk with that.

> the current install.texi file does not document these issues.

Because they're not intentional?

r~