From: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>
To: shebs@apple.com (Stan Shebs)
Cc: rth@redhat.com (Richard Henderson), gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: deprecate i960 now?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Stan Shebs writes:
> [ re: obsoleting the i960]
> It would be somewhat of a departure to move from obsoleting long-dead
> architectures to taking away ones that, in Intel's words (in their
> FAQ) are still shipping in "high volumes".

If we have no maintainer and no i960 processors, and the gdb folks are
taking away resources, we can't maintain it.  We can have an alternate
designation in such cases, "orphaned" rather than "deprecated", meaning
it's on hold until volunteers step up to the challenge of keeping it
going.

> Chucking a never-taped-out oddball like the d30v doesn't
> matter, but for a still-used processor like the i960 it really seems
> like a retreat.

Agreed, which is why an "orphaned" status might be better.  The code can
stay around, but maintainance goes on hold until someone takes it over.

Sometimes the threat of losing support smokes a skilled user or two out of
the woodwork who has the incentive to keep the tool he relies on going.