* Apple gcc 3.1 and OpenOffice.org
@ 2002-10-11 12:05 Kevin B. Hendricks
From: Kevin B. Hendricks @ 2002-10-11 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shebs; +Cc: gcc

Hi Stan,

Just a quick note:

A. first to say "Thanks" to everyone doing gcc work in support of the Apple
gcc 3.1  gcc 3.1 on OSX 10.2 was a huge improvement in fixing issues in
the OpenOffice.org build over gcc 2.95.  With it we have been able to
remove most of the hacks and workarounds we had to add to begin the port.

B.  We seem to have run into two issues with OOo and gcc 3.1 in OSX 10.2.

1. The first is that local static objects in methods (and templates) seem
to create common symbols that prevent a dynlib from being created by the
linker.  The best example of this is the classic C++ "singleton" often
used by C++ programmers.  The use of -fno-common does not seem to help in
this case.  The only workaround is to add a local static pointer to that
object intiialized to null and a mutex (for thread safelty) and then
intialize the object off the heap with new  just once.

2. We have run into a seeming bug in pthread_detach that generates a lot of
memory corruption.  Preventing the call to pthread_detach seems to be the
only workaround we have found so far.  This bug seems to be new in 10.2.
I have no idea if this a compiler miscompilation issue for kernel code or
a real kernel pthreads bug.  It is interesting to note that a very similar
bug existed in the FreeBSD kernel (not properly deal with pthread
attributes when detaching) until quite recently.

Does anyone know if upgrading to the latest gcc version will in any way
help solve problem 1.  If needed, I think we can build a simple test case
to submit if need anyone here would like it.

Also, if anyone has any info about pthread_detach any other related kernel
fixes mentioned in an earlier post:

 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-10/msg00596.html

Can they tell us the right mailing list to join to track such issues?

Thanks,

Kevin

* Re: Apple gcc 3.1 and OpenOffice.org
@ 2002-10-11 21:23 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2002-10-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin B. Hendricks; +Cc: shebs, gcc

> B.  We seem to have run into two issues with OOo and gcc 3.1 in OSX 10.2.

You might have better luck asking around on one of OOo's mailing lists.

* Re: Apple gcc 3.1 and OpenOffice.org
@ 2002-10-12  9:19   ` Kevin B. Hendricks
From: Kevin B. Hendricks @ 2002-10-12  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: shebs, gcc

Hi,

Unfortunately I am the co-lead of the OpenOffice.org porting project.  I
was looking for help from someone familiar with gcc and specifically
Apple's gcc to help work around toolchain issues we are running into doing
the OpenOffice.org port and hopefully a tip as to where to look (what
list) for kernel bug reports as well).

Kevin