* question about gcc
@ 2002-10-23 10:02 marc.poulhies
From: marc.poulhies @ 2002-10-23 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,
I'm sorry if this question should not be asked to this email, but i tried to
read some doc but don'r really know which one i should use. I tried the gcc
manual and took a look at the "further readings" page, but i didnt found what i
was looking for... Here's my question:
I'm a student in computer sciences and i'm learning how compilers work. This
morning a student told that gcc, in fact, always traducts other languages to C,
as it was first designed for C and so can handle it very well.
I was suprised, but before telling him waht i thought, i wanted to have
something to show him (in the case he's wrong).
My readings gave me an answer about c++, but what about other languages?

Thanks ;)

Marc

PS: if this is really not the good email to ask, can you tell me where i can ask
this?

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2002-10-23 10:08 ` Andrea Bocci
From: Andrea Bocci @ 2002-10-23 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marc.poulhies; +Cc: gcc

Hi Marc,
I'm no gcc expert, but from the little I know, compiling with gcc (at least
for java, ada, fortran 77 and probably the gpc pascal port) goes like this:

.) the code is read, and compiled it into an abstract language, be it
SIMPLE trees or RTL, by the frontend
.) optimizations are done on SIMPLE trees
.) trees are lowered to RTL
.) more optimizations are done ar RTL level by the backend
.) RTL are translated into assembler

then gcc calls the asembler (ie. GNU as) to make them into machine language
(object file) and the linker (eg. GNU ld) to make the final program/library.

I hope ths was clear and correct enough.
If is there somoene more expert than me willingly to correct my ramblings,
please do so :-)

fwyzard

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2002-10-24  0:04 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2002-10-24  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marc.poulhies; +Cc: gcc

On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 04:42 AM, marc.poulhies@epfl.ch
wrote:
> I'm a student in computer sciences and i'm learning how compilers
> work. This
> morning a student told that gcc, in fact, always traducts other
> languages to C,
> as it was first designed for C and so can handle it very well.
> I was suprised, but before telling him waht i thought, i wanted to have
> something to show him (in the case he's wrong).
> My readings gave me an answer about c++, but what about other
> languages?

traducts isn't a word in my language, so I might not understand your
question.

What answer did your readings give you for C++?  If they say that C++
is translated into C, well that doesn't describe the GNU compiler.  g++
is a native C++ to assembly language compiler, just a GNU C is a C to
assembly language compiler.  GNU C was written first, and GNU C++ came
after it.  All the other languages that gcc supports are also compiled
from their source language into trees, and from there into rtl and from
there into assembly, as documented in the gcc manual:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Passes.html#Passes

If you've not read it, there is enough detail in there to keep you warm
on a cold winter night, should you print it out first:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/index.html

Hope this helps.

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2002-10-24  2:13   ` kwall
From: kwall @ 2002-10-24  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 04:23:05PM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 04:42 AM, marc.poulhies@epfl.ch
> wrote:
> >I'm a student in computer sciences and i'm learning how compilers
> >work. This
> >morning a student told that gcc, in fact, always traducts other
> >languages to C,
> >as it was first designed for C and so can handle it very well.
> >I was suprised, but before telling him waht i thought, i wanted to have
> >something to show him (in the case he's wrong).
> >My readings gave me an answer about c++, but what about other
> >languages?
>
> traducts isn't a word in my language, so I might not understand your
> question.

Sure it is. "Traduct" means to translate or to transfer.

$ dict -d web1913 traduct
2 definitions found

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Traduct \Tra*duct"\, v. t. [L. traducere, traductum. See
     Traduce.]
     To derive or deduce; also, to transmit; to transfer. [Obs.]
     --Fotherby.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Traduct \Tra*duct"\, n.
     That which is traducted; that which is transferred; a
     translation. [Obs.] --Howell.

Kurt
--
Is your job running?  You'd better go catch it!

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2002-10-24  2:32     ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2002-10-24  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kwall; +Cc: gcc

On Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002, at 18:15 US/Pacific, kwall@kurtwerks.com
wrote:

> Sure it is. "Traduct" means to translate or to transfer.
>
> $ dict -d web1913 traduct
> 2 definitions found
>
>> From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:
>
>   Traduct \Tra*duct"\, v. t. [L. traducere, traductum. See
>      Traduce.]
>      To derive or deduce; also, to transmit; to transfer. [Obs.]
>      --Fotherby.

But Obs. is an abbreviation for obsolete so that is why he did not
understand what the word is.

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2002-10-24  2:56       ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2002-10-24  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: gcc, kwall

> > Sure it is. "Traduct" means to translate or to transfer.
> >
> > $ dict -d web1913 traduct
> > 2 definitions found
> >
> >> From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:
> >
> >   Traduct \Tra*duct"\, v. t. [L. traducere, traductum. See
> >      Traduce.]
> >      To derive or deduce; also, to transmit; to transfer. [Obs.]
> >      --Fotherby.
>
> But Obs. is an abbreviation for obsolete so that is why he did not
> understand what the word is.

Also notice that a dictionary from 1913 is calling the word obsolete.
90 years later, the word is *really* obsolete.

English has a lot of vocabulary that came from French, but in many cases
the words have shifted meaning or are no longer used.

* Re: question about GCC
@ 2010-06-02 23:49 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2010-06-02 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manal habib; +Cc: gcc

On 2 June 2010 22:42, manal habib wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new into the field of coding, and I am wandering if I can get
> some help on how to use the GCC? I have a mac version 10.5.8.   Should
> I just copy one of the image folders to make computer?  how can use
> it?

This is not the right mailing list for questions about using gcc,
please ask on gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org instead.

Jonathan

* question about GCC
@ 2010-06-02 22:15 manal habib
From: manal habib @ 2010-06-02 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I am new into the field of coding, and I am wandering if I can get
some help on how to use the GCC? I have a mac version 10.5.8.   Should
I just copy one of the image folders to make computer?  how can use
it?

Thank you very much
Manal Habib

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2005-11-18  0:46   ` Paul Albrecht
From: Paul Albrecht @ 2005-11-18  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: gcc

From: "Jim Wilson" <wilson@specifix.com>

> Paul Albrecht wrote:
> > Is there some reason gcc hasn't been or can't be enhanced to provide output for
> > cross-referencing programs?
>
> FYI, there are a number of tools available for producing
> cross-referencing info.  See for instance
>      http://www.gnu.org/software/global/links.html
> and try looking at the up-link to global itself also.  I found this by
> searching on the GNU web site.  I've never used global myself.

I'm not really so much interested in particular cross-referencing programs as I am interested in
whether the gcc community has considered providing compiler output to cross-referencing programs via
a front end option.

Paul Albrecht

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2005-11-18  0:26 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2005-11-18  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Albrecht; +Cc: gcc

Paul Albrecht wrote:
> Is there some reason gcc hasn't been or can't be enhanced to provide output for a cross-referencing
> programs?

FYI, there are a number of tools available for producing
cross-referencing info.  See for instance
     http://www.gnu.org/software/global/links.html
and try looking at the up-link to global itself also.  I found this by
searching on the GNU web site.  I've never used global myself.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2005-11-18  0:25   ` Paul Albrecht
From: Paul Albrecht @ 2005-11-18  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: gcc

From: "Robert Dewar" <dewar@adacore.com>

> Paul Albrecht wrote:
> > Is there some reason gcc hasn't been or can't be enhanced to provide output for a
> > cross-referencing programs?
> >

> No reason why it can't be, and the reason it hasn't is that no one has done it. Actually strictly
you don't mean gcc
> here, you are referring to particular front ends, since the notion of referencing is somewhat
language dependent.
> So probably you are thinking of C and/or C++. Note that GNAT, the Ada front end, does indeed
output full
> information for xref purposes, in the form of alibfiles (it would indeed be nice if the C++
compiler
> would generate something similar!)

I took a swipe at the c front end and have cross-referenced linux and gcc using my hacked gcc. I'd
like to get some feedback from the gcc community. You can check out my results at my web site
www.pjalbrecht.com.

Paul Albrecht

* Re: question about gcc
@ 2005-11-17 23:20 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2005-11-17 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Albrecht; +Cc: gcc

@ 2005-11-17 23:05 Paul Albrecht
From: Paul Albrecht @ 2005-11-17 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2002-10-24  3:53 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-10-24  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: apinski, jbuck; +Cc: gcc, kwall

> Sure it is. "Traduct" means to translate or to transfer.
>
> $ dict -d web1913 traduct
> 2 definitions found
>
>> From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:
>
>   Traduct \Tra*duct"\, v. t. [L. traducere, traductum. See
>      Traduce.]
>      To derive or deduce; also, to transmit; to transfer. [Obs.]
>      --Fotherby.

I can't believe it someone actually bothers to send this message.
A "Webster's" revised dictionary from 1913 that labels the word
as obsolete is a pretty pathetic source!

If you bother to look this up in a decent source (OED II volume XVIII, I
just lugged the 1000 page volume from the library :-), you will find that
the last recorded use of this word is in 1659.

Shall we write the OED and tell them they should renovate this word and
create a quote for 2002 from the gcc@gnu.org list :-)

* Re: Question about gcc
@ 2001-02-23 10:46 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-23 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Francq; +Cc: GCC Mailling List

On Feb 23, 2001, Pascal Francq <pfrancq@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> but I don't remember the name of this link.

cc

* Question about gcc
@ 2001-02-23  9:30 Pascal Francq
From: Pascal Francq @ 2001-02-23  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Mailling List

I have just compile and install gcc 2.95.2. When I run the configure script
of an application I want to compile, the script sys that he can guess the
hsot type. I remember that I have to create a link to gcc with a given name,
but I don't remember the name of this link.
Thanks in advance.
--

Ir Pascal Francq
Researcher

* Re: Question about GCC
@ 1999-08-31 23:20   ` Andris Pavenis
From: Andris Pavenis @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vlasios Tsiatsis, gcc

On Tue, 03 Aug 	1999, Vlasios Tsiatsis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hava a laptop with Windows95 an it and no C language on it.
> I was thinking of building GCC on this machine but I don't know
> if there is a distribution of GCC for Windows or DOS .

For DOS You can look for DJGPP:
	http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

Works Ok also under Win95.

There is also related mailing list (and newsgroup comp.os.msdos.djgpp)

Andris

* Question about GCC
@ 1999-08-31 23:20 ` Vlasios Tsiatsis
From: Vlasios Tsiatsis @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I hava a laptop with Windows95 an it and no C language on it.
I was thinking of building GCC on this machine but I don't know
if there is a distribution of GCC for Windows or DOS .

If there is where can I find it ?

thank you very much,
Vlasios Tsiatsis

* Re: Question about GCC