* exporting symbols in shared libraries
@ 2002-10-24 10:10 thomas joseph
From: thomas joseph @ 2002-10-24 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi All,
 I have a small question to you.
 Could some body tell me how do I stop exporting
 a symbol in a shared libraries using gcc.

 I do n't want to make it static. Because I need to
 access it from other files.
 Is there any compiler option/construct to support
 this.

 Thanks in advance,

 best regards,
 --thomas

http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!

* Re: exporting symbols in shared libraries
@ 2002-10-24 11:52 ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 2002-10-24 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas joseph; +Cc: gcc

On 24-Oct-2002, thomas joseph <thomascanny@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi All,
>  I have a small question to you.
>  Could some body tell me how do I stop exporting
>  a symbol in a shared libraries using gcc.
>
>  I do n't want to make it static. Because I need to
>  access it from other files.
>  Is there any compiler option/construct to support
>  this.

In the latest (CVS) versions of gcc, you can use the visibility attribute,
e.g. __attribute__((visibility(hidden))).  This only works for ELF targets,
AFAIK.

* Re: exporting symbols in shared libraries
@ 2002-10-24 13:04 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-10-24 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas joseph; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:56:01PM +1300, thomas joseph wrote:

> Hi All,
>  I have a small question to you.
>  Could some body tell me how do I stop exporting
>  a symbol in a shared libraries using gcc.

Usually this is done by the linker, not the compiler.  See your linker's
documentation on symbol maps.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: exporting symbols in shared libraries
@ 2002-10-24 15:30 Rayson Ho
From: Rayson Ho @ 2002-10-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: thomascanny

> Hi All,
>  I have a small question to you.
>  Could some body tell me how do I stop exporting
>  a symbol in a shared libraries using gcc.

You can use "version script", or "Linker Mapfile":

http://www.gnu.org/manual/ld-2.9.1/html_node/ld_25.html
http://soldc.sun.com/articles/linker_mapfiles.html

Rayson

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/