* comparing two executable binary files
@ 2002-11-04  9:00 Paesch Wayne D DLVA
From: Paesch Wayne D DLVA @ 2002-11-04  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Hello,
And Thank You for your time!

I am trying to compare two executable binary files.
There are suppose to be a one byte difference but the hex dump says
differently.

It is built with GCC vers. 2.7.2 , eventually for a power pc.

Is there any way to tell what I am looking at?

I know there is a lot of options during the build process.
I am having a hard time finding out information or documents in this area.

Online can I get to GCC vers. 2.7.2 information?

Thanks again,
Wayne D. Paesch
paeschwd@nswc.navy.mil
(540) 653 5188

NSWC - DD  N93
17230 Dahlgren Road
Dahlgren VA 22448

* Re: comparing two executable binary files
@ 2002-11-04 10:17 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2002-11-04 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paesch Wayne D DLVA; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Paesch> I am trying to compare two executable binary files.
Paesch> There are suppose to be a one byte difference but the hex dump says
Paesch> differently.

Paesch> It is built with GCC vers. 2.7.2 , eventually for a power pc.

Paesch> Is there any way to tell what I am looking at?

	Which file format are you using?  Most file formats have a header
which can include a timestamp.  You may need to skip the header to compare
the portion of the executable corresponding to the program itself.  You
can use objdump program in the GNU Binutils package to examine the
contents of an executable.

David

* Re: comparing two executable binary files
@ 2002-11-04 13:06   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2002-11-04 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

kwall <kwall@kurtwerks.com> writes:

> I think he meant that this sort of email should be sent through the
> list, not to his email address. Like proper mailing lists, the GCC list
> do not set the Reply-To: header, so just using your mail client's reply
> function typically sends the reply to the sender, not the list.

When posting to mailing lists where I'm one of the software maintainers, I
sometimes put something like this in my signature:

I've noticed that a few other people have picked up that URL and put it in
their signatures.  Feel free to either refer to or copy that page if you
find it useful; I've just added a note to the bottom of it placing it into
the public domain.

* Re: comparing two executable binary files
@ 2002-11-04 11:59 ` kwall
From: kwall @ 2002-11-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 02:16:17PM -0500, Paesch Wayne D DLVA wrote:
> You asked me which format. And how do you not get "personal" in trying to
> describe a problem you are having?

I think he meant that this sort of email should be sent through
the list, not to his email address. Like proper mailing lists,
the GCC list do not set the Reply-To: header, so just using your
mail client's reply function typically sends the reply to the sender,
not the list.

Kurt
--
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.
		-- Dr. Warren Jackson, Director, UTCS

* RE: comparing two executable binary files
@ 2002-11-04 11:19 Paesch Wayne D DLVA