* Configuration problem
@ 2002-12-12 15:19 Bob Edgar
From: Bob Edgar @ 2002-12-12 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi. I'm fairly new at this sort of thing, so I'm probably missing something
obvious. I have downloaded and unpacked the 3.2.1 version of gcc. When I try
to configure it, it tells me that I have no acceptable c compiler in $PATH.
This is on two systems now, both Red Hat, one is v7.2, one v7.3. Isn't that
what I'm trying to install? Again, I'm new. If you can't help me, can you
steer me in a direction. I've tried Google searching, and have no joy.
Thanks!

Bob
Holmes & Turner

* Re: Configuration problem
@ 2002-12-12 15:41 ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2002-12-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Edgar; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 14:59, Bob Edgar wrote:
> Hi. I'm fairly new at this sort of thing, so I'm probably missing something
> obvious. I have downloaded and unpacked the 3.2.1 version of gcc. When I try
> to configure it, it tells me that I have no acceptable c compiler in $PATH.
> This is on two systems now, both Red Hat, one is v7.2, one v7.3. Isn't that
> what I'm trying to install? Again, I'm new. If you can't help me, can you
> steer me in a direction. I've tried Google searching, and have no joy.
> Thanks!

Your best bet is to install the prebuilt binaries that come with your
redhat CDs. If you have any questions you might want to call/contact
support at Red Hat for further direction.

-eric

--
Yeah, I used to play basketball...

* Re: Configuration problem
@ 2002-12-12 16:16 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-12-12 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Edgar; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:59:06PM -0700, Bob Edgar wrote:
> Hi. I'm fairly new at this sort of thing, so I'm probably missing something
> obvious. I have downloaded and unpacked the 3.2.1 version of gcc. When I try
> to configure it, it tells me that I have no acceptable c compiler in $PATH.
> This is on two systems now, both Red Hat, one is v7.2, one v7.3. Isn't that
> what I'm trying to install?

Chicken-and-egg problem (more formally referred to as /bootstrapping/).

http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html

RH provides pre-compiled binaries.  You can use those as bootstrap compilers.

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002