* help please!
@ 2002-12-18 13:20 Sarah Gosselin
From: Sarah Gosselin @ 2002-12-18 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi!
I am a student in programing and I am used to work in a Sun lab
(using Unix). I write programs in C++. At school, I go in the console
(or terminal) and type g++ nameofprogram.cc and it compiles it.
However, I have no idea what to do with my iMac (I have the Mac OS
X). I went into the terminal and tried typing all the possible
entries and nothing worked so far. So please, could you tell me how
it works and also how to save my documents so that they get read as
C++ (or G++) documents.
Thank you for your time

Sarah Gosselin

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

* Re: Help please?
@ 2001-11-01 19:13 Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-01 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

At 12.46 13/11/01 (GMT +0200), you wrote:
>Hi
>
>Excuse me if this is dumb or stupid. I need gcc 3.0 to get another program
>to work and I've got RedHat 7.1 with gcc 2.96. I've downloaded
>gcc-3.0.2.tar and installed it in /usr/local/sbin. When I run "rpm -q gcc"
>it still reports the old version. Do I have to uninstall the old version
>or do I install the new one over it ie. in the same directory. In other
>words where do I install the new version.
>
>I'm new to this Linux, compile etc. thing
>
>Thanks

Hi

The RPM database (which holds a list of all the packages you have
installed, and their dependencies) knows nothing of software you "manually"
compile and install.
So, the simplest thing to do would be to leave the RPM packege as it is,
and compile the 3.0.2 sources and install them in, eg., /urc/local. By the
way, I think this is the default behaviour for the gcc configure script.

Anyway, if you don't mind sticking to 3.0.1 instead of 3.0.2, you can
download the RedHat RPMs for it: just searh for gcc3 on fr2.rpmfind.net.
I think the relevant packages are:
gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-g77-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-java-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-objc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcj3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcj3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
You can't uninstall gcc 2.96, as the RedHat 3.0.1 RPMs require some 2.96
libraries.

Hope this helps,
fwyzard

* Help please?
@ 2001-11-01 16:02 Sarel Theron
From: Sarel Theron @ 2001-11-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

--
Sarel Theron
Computer Systems Engineer

DISCLAIMER
==========

The information in this e-mail is confidential and is legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  If this email is not
intended for you, you may not copy, distribute, or disclose the included
information to any-one

If you are not the intended recipient please delete the mail. Whilst
all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy and
integrity of all data transmitted electronically, no liability is accepted
if the data, for whatever reason, is corrupt or does not reach it's
intended destination.
All business is undertaken, subject to our standard trading conditions
which are available on request.