From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
To: mark@codesourcery.com
Cc: janis187@us.ibm.com, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:37:00 -0000	[thread overview]

   Janis Johnsen:

   > Should I continue to send mail to gcc@gcc.gnu.org when I identify the
   > patch that caused a regression or that fixed a mainline regression that
   > still exists on a release branch?  This seemed like a good idea when
   > there was one every couple of days, but I'm continuing to discover
   > short-cuts that make it faster and easier, so the trickle of mail might
   > be getting large enough to be annoying (I've got three more almost ready
   > to report this morning).

   Mark Mitchell:

   I think what you're doing is tremendously useful.  I'd just like you to
   keep doing it. :-)

With changeset-oriented revision control and a bug tracking system
that produces machine processable results (I still think QMtest is
needlessly complicated but it does have that property), the work Janis
is doing could be fully automated, completely precise, and
continuously performed.  And more besides (how about identifying a
patch on anyone's branch that fixes a mainline regression).

"This Way Up",
-t