From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: Nathanael Nerode <neroden@gcc.gnu.org>, DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com>
Subject: Serialization dependencies muck up configure-on-demand
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The serializiation dependencies are causing all-gdb to have to configure
things like the assembler.  Consider --target=alpha-elf.  This isn't
supported in gas but the top level doesn't know that (a separate problem,
for another day, and not the real cause of trouble here).  The top level
emits serialization dependencies like:

# Serialization dependencies.  Host configures don't work well in parallel to
# each other, due to contention over config.cache.  Target configures and
# build configures are similar.

mmalloc/Makefile: intl/Makefile
libiberty/Makefile: mmalloc/Makefile
opcodes/Makefile: libiberty/Makefile
bfd/Makefile: opcodes/Makefile
readline/Makefile: bfd/Makefile
tcl/Makefile: readline/Makefile
tk/Makefile: tcl/Makefile
itcl/Makefile: tk/Makefile
tix/Makefile: itcl/Makefile
libgui/Makefile: tix/Makefile
binutils/Makefile: libgui/Makefile
gas/Makefile: binutils/Makefile
ld/Makefile: gas/Makefile
sid/Makefile: ld/Makefile
sim/Makefile: sid/Makefile
gdb/Makefile: sim/Makefile
etc/Makefile: gdb/Makefile
expect/Makefile: etc/Makefile
dejagnu/Makefile: expect/Makefile
utils/Makefile: dejagnu/Makefile
$(TARGET_SUBDIR)/rda/Makefile: $(TARGET_SUBDIR)/libiberty/Makefile

This means that to build GDB in this tree requires configuring gas, and I've
lost all that I hoped to gain from doing the configury in the makefile.

Do we need the serialization dependencies?  While we support all sorts of
versions of Make, do we actually support parallel make on anything that
doesn't recognize .NOTPARALLEL?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz