From: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
To: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GCC still getting a lot slower
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 20:22:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>>>>> Neil Booth writes:

Neil> It's only going to get fixed by refusing a release until it's as fast
Neil> as the prior one.  Otherwise it appears that people just don't care
Neil> enough that each release is 30-50% slower than the previous one.

	I strongly believe that we need to have performance goals for GCC
releases, not just release schedules.  Previously when people have
complained about performance, the response has been that it is too late in
the release schedule.  Well, we're now in Stage 1 of development for GCC
3.4, so it definitely cannot be too late.

	As a start, how about some comment about Daniel Berlin's
Generational Copying Garbage Collector?  Complaining about the problem and
then ignoring developers who try to address the problem discourages
further effort.  It isn't perfect, but nothing in GCC is perfect.  If it
needs to be improved, the GCC developer community is invited to assist.
Silence from the peanut gallery is abdication of moral authority to
complain in the future.

David