From: Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz>
To: Steven Bosscher <s.bosscher@student.tudelft.nl>
Cc: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>,
	gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GCC still getting a lot slower
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 14:24:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> Neil Booth wrote:
>
> > Any idea what killed GCC bootstrap time in Mid-Dec?  This really must
> > stop happening; we're out of control.
> >
> > http://www.suse.de/~aj/SPEC/CINT/d-permanent/times.html
>
> Just curious:
>
> When the B-I-B branch was announced in
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-08/msg01575.html, the announcement also
> spoke of the "faster-compiler-branch", but it seems that this branch was
> never used (at least, I can't find any mails about it). The announcement
> mentions a few bottlenecks, and IIRC from some other mails by Zack at
> least some bottlenecks are known. Could somebody make a list of those (I
> can make that+whatever else into a nice XHTML page for this branch...)?
> This would also look like the right branch to play with Dan's memory
> work...
>
> There are two SPEC testers and a regression tester, but is there a
> cachegrind tester, or a tester that collects profile data?

I have simple scripts to collect oprofile data (including the anotated
disassembly of hot spots) I am using to tune compiler and have data
usually for few weeks back.  The data are quite usefull to easilly fix
the problem, but somewhat large to be practical to collect regularry.
Even the current SPEC testers has problem with disc capacity

Honza