From: Bill Wendling <wendling@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To: Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Bug with -finline-functions and va_start on FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Also sprach Loren James Rittle:
} In article <20030129183055.GA29947@ncsa.uiuc.edu> you write:
}
} > I'm having a problem with gcc 3.2.1 on FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE for this piece
} > of code:
} >
} > #include <stdio.h>
} > #include <stdarg.h>
} [...]
} > When compiling with the following options:
} >
} >    % gcc32 -o t t.c -finline-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -O2
} >
} > I get this error:
}
} Your example works fine with gcc 3.2.1 and gcc 3.2.2 (prerelease)
} built from FSF sources on i386-unknown-freebsd4.7.  Based solely upon
} the name you used to invoke the compiler, I suspect that you are
} reporting a bug with a "FreeBSD ports" version of gcc.  If I'm
} correct, then please file it with freebsd.org not gcc.gnu.org.
}
I'm not sure what you mean by a "FreeBSD ports" version of gcc. I'm not a
FreeBSD hacker...more of a GNU/Linux one :-). As for the name of the
compiler, I'm not sure if it's one that our sysadmin picked up off of the
'net or built by himself (we have several versions of gcc to try our
software against).

} To help yourself, please run this command on your machine:
}
} % gcc32 -E t.c | grep /usr/local | nawk '{print $3}' | sort | uniq
}
} If you don't see:
}
} "/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.7/3.2.1/include/machine/ansi.h"
} "/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.7/3.2.1/include/stdarg.h"
}
} Then the bug to report to FreeBSD is this (or figure out yourself how
} to fix the port ;-): "stdarg.h not installed when gcc built from
} ports" & "fixincludes not run when gcc built from ports".
}
} If you see the 2 lines, then, sorry, I have no idea what your problem
} is.
}
I didn't get those lines but got these:

> gcc32 -E t.c | grep include | nawk '{print $3}' | sort | uniq
"/usr/include/stdarg.h"
"/usr/include/stdio.h"
"/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h"
"/usr/sdt/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd4.7/3.2.1/include/machine/ansi.h"

Would this still qualify then as the FreeBSD problem you're talking
about?

} > Is this a known problem? Is there a fix for this in the next release of
} > gcc? :-)
}
} The current FSF release does not have this problem.  There has been a
} bit of a "discussion" over this issue over the years (i.e. it is known
} in my mind).  The various BSD distros prefer to fix their system
} headers as they break.  The FSF side prefers to assume that all system
} headers, from time to time, actually contain minor nits to be
} addressed.  Both positions have merit, but you just happened to be hit
} by a case when the system header could not predict a change in gcc.
}
Hmm...okay. Thanks for the help!