* gcc issue on AIX
@ 2003-03-25 15:16 HRumde
From: HRumde @ 2003-03-25 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi

I am using GCC to compile Pro*C generated C Program on  AIX.
My source file size is 1458749 byes.  When I compiled my codes by -c,
I got warning but  .o object file was not created. There are many functions
( arround 164 + many global variables )  in my source codes.
I can compile this source file by "IBM's ANSI cc" compiler.

I extracted 3-10 functions from this huge file and compiled successfully by
gcc to create .o file.

Is there any limitation on the maximum size of source file or maximum
functions, globules per source file?

Hemant Rumde
Sr. Unix Consultant
CitiGroup
Boston MA

* Re: gcc issue on AIX
@ 2003-03-25 17:07 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2003-03-25 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HRumde; +Cc: gcc

HRumde> I am using GCC to compile Pro*C generated C Program on  AIX.
HRumde> My source file size is 1458749 byes.  When I compiled my codes by -c,
HRumde> I got warning but  .o object file was not created. There are many functions
HRumde> ( arround 164 + many global variables )  in my source codes.
HRumde> I can compile this source file by "IBM's ANSI cc" compiler.

HRumde> I extracted 3-10 functions from this huge file and compiled successfully by
HRumde> gcc to create .o file.

HRumde> Is there any limitation on the maximum size of source file or maximum
HRumde> functions, globules per source file?

	There is no limit on the input source file size, but the PowerPC
GCC port is unable to handle far branches within a single function, while
IBM's compiler is able to handle this extreme case.  At link time, you
might get TOC overflow errors, but at compile/assembly time one will
receive branch displacement errors.

David