* Compiler directed Page coloring
@ 2003-03-28 10:53 Sarnath  Kannan
From: Sarnath  Kannan @ 2003-03-28 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,
  I am new to this group.
  For quite a while, I have been thinking about "compiler
  directed page coloring" which could be used to enhance
  performance of GNU/Linux system. One can implement
page-coloring
  in the Linux kernel with the help of
application-specific-inputs
  from GCC. Such models had already been researched and
investigate by
  many scholars. (Please check out "citeseer" and Google for more
info)

  I have a few questions:
  1) Is this mailing list the correct place for this suggestion
?
  2) Are any of you interested in this idea ?
  3) If so, What sort of inputs can GCC to the kernel w.r.t page
     coloring ? Can It be done ? I think "Flow graphs",
     "tracking data access, and other subtle nuances come into
picture.
     Can such information be given by GCC ? I dont know anything
about
     GCC internals. I am a mere user.
  4) In case one starts to implement, we need to take help from
the
     linux-kernel guys so that we evolve a proper model for this
and
     develop the entire thing independently. People from both
areas
     may need to work in testing/benchmarking etc.. So Is this
all
     possible (given the limited resources of developers and
their
     work load)

Thanks for any feedback,
Pardon me if this is out of context of the group.
/ /
Sarnath

You CAN if u think u CAN !
Odomos - the only  mosquito protection outside 4 walls -
Click here to know more!
http://r.rediff.com/r?http://clients.rediff.com/odomos/Odomos.htm&&odomos&&wn

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-03-28  7:09 UTC | newest]