* Question about boehmgc
@ 2003-03-24 18:04 Lars Segerlund
From: Lars Segerlund @ 2003-03-24 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

  Is the garbage the only way to handle memory currently under gcc ?

  I.e. was the old memory handling removed when the garbage was introduced ?

  I am asking since I am looking into gcc memory use and alloction, (
trying to learn what goes on ).

  / Lars Segerlund.

* Re: Question about boehmgc
@ 2003-04-01  8:00 ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 2003-04-01  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Segerlund; +Cc: gcc

On 24-Mar-2003, Lars Segerlund <lars.segerlund@comsys.se> wrote:

>  Is the garbage the only way to handle memory currently under gcc ?
>
>  I.e. was the old memory handling removed when the garbage was introduced ?
>
>  I am asking since I am looking into gcc memory use and alloction, (
> trying to learn what goes on ).

Your question here doesn't match the subject line.

Garbage collection is used for two different purposes in GCC.
Firstly, the memory that GCC itself allocates when compiling programs
is reclaimed by garbage collection.  This process does not use
the Boehm collector, it uses a custom built collector just for GCC.
Yes, the old memory handling (which used "obstacks") was removed when
this custom collector was introduced.

Secondly, for some languages supported by GCC, e.g. Java, the compiled
program that GCC generates will use garbage collection.  This is where
the Boehm collector gets used.  GCC will link the Boehm collector with
your compiled code.

This message could not be encrypted because no digital certificate
was found for your address. However, you can encrypt your reply with
the certificate attached below. Details at www.unicrypt.com.au