* Re: Libiberty's snprintf for v3 vs. libsnprintfv
@ 2003-04-22 23:18 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2003-04-22 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development

Hi,

This library: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libsnprintfv/
was written by Gary V. Vaughn with help from Paolo Bonzini and
myself with the intention of having it incorporated into libiberty
someday.  It has every variation of printf functionality I've
ever heard of, plus some convenient extensions.  I don't think
you'll have any licensing issues there, either.  Some online
blurbs:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/autogen/html_node/autogen_310.html#SEC310
((The tidying has mostly been done now.))

the README:

This is libsnprintfv, a portable, extensible reimplementation of the
POSIX format printing API.  libsnprintfv provides all the features
which should be present in a POSIX format printing implementation,
but which often are not, such as guaranteed return of number of
characters printed and support for %n$ format specifiers.

In addition the the POSIX features, libsnprintfv also provides some
extensions to the API, and a GNU glibc-2 compatible printf custom
format specifier, all of which you can use with impunity if you link
with libsnprintfv, rather than worrying about whether the target C
library provides the extensions.  See the info manual for details of
the API calls available, and an explanation of how to write custom
specifier handlers.

The latest version of libsnprintfv is available from savannah.nongnu.org

See the file INSTALL for instructions on how to build and install
libsnprintfv.

See the file NEWS for a description of user visible changes to
libsnprintfv between releases.

See the file TODO for a list of outstanding work.

If you have any suggestions or bug reports, please send email to the
author at <gary@gnu.org>.

* Re: Libiberty's snprintf for v3 vs. libsnprintfv
@ 2003-04-23  1:21 ` Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2003-04-23  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkorb; +Cc: gcc

Bruce Korb <bkorb@veritas.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This library: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libsnprintfv/
> was written by Gary V. Vaughn with help from Paolo Bonzini and
> myself with the intention of having it incorporated into libiberty
> someday.  It has every variation of printf functionality I've
> ever heard of, plus some convenient extensions.  I don't think
> you'll have any licensing issues there, either.

Isn't this GPLed?  I thought we were looking for GPL+exception.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>

* Re: Libiberty's snprintf for v3 vs. libsnprintfv
@ 2003-04-23  2:18   ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2003-04-23  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Keating, Gary V. Vaughan; +Cc: gcc

Geoff Keating wrote:

> Bruce Korb <bkorb@veritas.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This library: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libsnprintfv/
> > was written by Gary V. Vaughn with help from Paolo Bonzini and
> > myself with the intention of having it incorporated into libiberty
> > someday.  It has every variation of printf functionality I've
> > ever heard of, plus some convenient extensions.  I don't think
> > you'll have any licensing issues there, either.
>
> Isn't this GPLed?  I thought we were looking for GPL+exception.

Well, it is already GPL+exception-ed for AutoGen use,
so I was guessing Gary wouldn't object to just adding the
exception.  He'd have to okay it, of course, I was just
doubting that that would be an issue.

* Re: Libiberty's snprintf for v3 vs. libsnprintfv
@ 2003-04-24 13:06     ` Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 2003-04-24 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: Geoff Keating, gcc

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 17:19, Bruce Korb wrote:
> Geoff Keating wrote:
> >
> > Bruce Korb <bkorb@veritas.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This library: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libsnprintfv/
> > > was written by Gary V. Vaughn with help from Paolo Bonzini and
> > > myself with the intention of having it incorporated into libiberty
> > > someday.  It has every variation of printf functionality I've
> > > ever heard of, plus some convenient extensions.  I don't think
> > > you'll have any licensing issues there, either.
> >
> > Isn't this GPLed?  I thought we were looking for GPL+exception.
>
> Well, it is already GPL+exception-ed for AutoGen use,
> so I was guessing Gary wouldn't object to just adding the
> exception.  He'd have to okay it, of course, I was just
> doubting that that would be an issue.

What is the GPL exception that would be required for acceptance?  I'd
like to see the wording before I okay...

Are you guys aware of the gnulib project (also hosted on savannah) which
is trying to do the same job as libiberty, but maintained in its ovn
right without being tied to any particular project?  I have been
thinking about donating snprintfv to gnulib too.

* Re: Libiberty's snprintf for v3 vs. libsnprintfv
@ 2003-04-24 17:19       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2003-04-24 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gary; +Cc: bkorb, geoffk, gcc

> Are you guys aware of the gnulib project (also hosted on savannah)
> which is trying to do the same job as libiberty, but maintained in
> its ovn right without being tied to any particular project?  I have
> been thinking about donating snprintfv to gnulib too.

Yes, we've talked before.  We're all willing to work together, it just
hasn't happened yet.  Their licenses are also different.  IIRC they
were GPL, not LGPL, and no gcc exception.