* "Annotate" on GCC's CVSweb isn't working
@ 2003-05-09 17:33 Cook, Kelley (R.K.)
From: Cook, Kelley (R.K.) @ 2003-05-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

The useful annotate feature is no longer working on the GCC Projects'
CVSWeb at both

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ and
 http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcc/.

Strangely, they fail in different ways

For example,
http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/config.if?annotate=1.9 gives a
500 Internal Error

While the mirrored copy at
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcc/gcc/Makefile.def?annotate=1.7
just brings you back to the CVS log list.

Could somebody look into it?

Thanks,
R. Kelley Cook
Ford Edison Project
Distributed Readiness and Project Assurance
313.337.5246
kcook34@ford.com

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 4166 bytes --]

* Re: "Annotate" on GCC's CVSweb isn't working
@ 2003-05-09 22:21 ` Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2003-05-09 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Kelley (R.K.); +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Cook, Kelley (R.K.) wrote:-

> The useful annotate feature is no longer working on the GCC Projects'
> CVSWeb at both
>
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ and
>  http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcc/.
>
> Strangely, they fail in different ways
>
> For example,
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/config.if?annotate=1.9 gives a
> 500 Internal Error

Agreed.  It's been this way for roughly 2 months I think.

The FSF web site never worked, we've only started failing recently.

Neil.

* Re: "Annotate" on GCC's CVSweb isn't working
@ 2003-05-12  9:36   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-12  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, Neil Booth; +Cc: Cook, Kelley (R.K.), overseers

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Neil Booth wrote:
>> The useful annotate feature is no longer working on the GCC Projects'
>> CVSWeb at both
> Agreed.  It's been this way for roughly 2 months I think.
>
> The FSF web site never worked, we've only started failing recently.

FYI, I had forwarded this to overseers@gcc.gnu.org and Ian had a look:
it seems this is hard to fix (mostly caused by the uberbaum repository),
and for now Ian thus disabled the annotate feature.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* RE: "Annotate" on GCC's CVSweb isn't working
@ 2003-05-14 21:12 Cook, Kelley (R.K.)
From: Cook, Kelley (R.K.) @ 2003-05-14 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ian Lance Taylor', Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Jason Molenda, gcc

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:
> Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>> I don't know how httpd sets the supplementary groups, so I don't know
>> whether this matters.
>>
>> I've changed the webusers in /etc/group to apache and restarted httpd.
>> I can't see any way to find what groups are assigned to a running
>> process, so I don't know if this will do any good or not but do you
>> want to turn annotate back on and see what happens?
>
> Done, and it works.  Thanks Chris.  Thanks Jason.
>
> Ian

And there was much rejoicing ... (yea!)

Thanks all,
Kelley Cook

* Re: "Annotate" on GCC's CVSweb isn't working
@ 2003-05-14 21:02           ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-05-14 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor
  Cc: Jason Molenda, Cook, Kelley (R.K.), 'Gerald Pfeifer',
	gcc, Neil Booth, overseers

@ 2003-05-14 20:54         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-05-14 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor
  Cc: Jason Molenda, Cook, Kelley (R.K.), 'Gerald Pfeifer',
	gcc, Neil Booth, overseers

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 01:40:53PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> webuser has the same uid as apache (by design) so this should not be an
>> issue should it?
>
>When logging in, the supplementary groups in /etc/groups are set based
>on the login name, not the login UID.  Two user names can share a uid
>but that does not imply that they share the same supplementary groups.

Slap forehead.  Right.

>I don't know how httpd sets the supplementary groups, so I don't know
>whether this matters.

I've changed the webusers in /etc/group to apache and restarted httpd.
I can't see any way to find what groups are assigned to a running
process, so I don't know if this will do any good or not but do you want
to turn annotate back on and see what happens?

cgf

* Re: "Annotate" on GCC's CVSweb isn't working
@ 2003-05-14 20:41       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-05-14 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor
  Cc: Jason Molenda, Cook, Kelley (R.K.), 'Gerald Pfeifer',
	gcc, Neil Booth, overseers

@ 2003-05-14 20:32     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-05-14 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda
  Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, Cook, Kelley (R.K.), 'Gerald Pfeifer',
	gcc, Neil Booth, overseers

@ 2003-05-14 19:41   ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2003-05-14 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor
  Cc: Cook, Kelley (R.K.), 'Gerald Pfeifer',
	gcc, Neil Booth, overseers

Hi all, sorry for not participating in this discussion earlier -
I had a code freeze Thursday and then I flew out to Minnesota Friday
morning (where I am still located, much to my chagrin).

cvsweb used to be able to write in the cvs directories so this would
work - it ran as user 'webuser', which is in each of the project's
entires in /etc/group.

A few options:

  1. Leave cvs annotate disabled

  2. Change all the 'webuser' entries in /etc/group to 'apache'.

  3. Eat the time to do the switch to viewcvs.  On the up side,
     viewcvs is being maintained and works entirely read-only.  On
     the down side, we have a few hacks to cvsweb which are convenient
     and we'd need to reimplement them.

Sorry for not joining in on the discussion earlier,

Jason

* Re: "Annotate" on GCC's CVSweb isn't working
@ 2003-05-12 17:39 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-05-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Kelley (R.K.); +Cc: 'Gerald Pfeifer', gcc, Neil Booth, overseers

"Cook, Kelley \(R.K.\)" <kcook34@ford.com> writes:

> Since I can't test it, I'm not entirely sure if this will help, but it
> appears that the FreeBSD folks seem to developed a workaround for some of
> the Annotate with Read-Only repositories problems in their cvsweb 2.0.6
> build, which is available at http://www.freebsd.org/projects/cvsweb.html

I took a look, and it appears to have the same `cvs annotate' support
that we already have--i.e., support which won't work unless we can
change LockDir.  We don't know how to change LockDir without breaking
the uberbaum repository.

Ian

* RE: "Annotate" on GCC's CVSweb isn't working
@ 2003-05-12 13:47 Cook, Kelley (R.K.)
From: Cook, Kelley (R.K.) @ 2003-05-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gerald Pfeifer', gcc, Neil Booth; +Cc: overseers