* Varargs elimination!?
@ 2003-05-16  5:57 Bryan Helvey
       [not found] ` <20030516061342.GA16744@ceres.cs.mu.oz.au>
From: Bryan Helvey @ 2003-05-16  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

My name is Bryan Helvey representing FreeUSP.org. We have a signal analysis
suite
'open-sourced' on the net. We use varargs.h for compatibility with GCC, SUN
C, and IRIX's C compiler (as well as Absoft, Portland, & Intel's compiler).

Is there any chance of seeing this reinstated? What is the reasoning anyway?

As a long time unix user (since 1987), I can't tell you how invaluable GNU has
been over the years. Just want to say thanks for a great job and _please_
keep up the good work(s)!

Bryan

* Re: Varargs elimination!?
@ 2003-05-16  6:35 ` Richard Henderson
       [not found] ` <20030516061342.GA16744@ceres.cs.mu.oz.au>
From: Richard Henderson @ 2003-05-16  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Helvey; +Cc: gcc

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 12:58:46AM -0500, Bryan Helvey wrote:
> Is there any chance of seeing this reinstated?

No.  Use <stdarg.h> instead.  It's just as portable.

> What is the reasoning anyway?

We no longer support the non-standardized K&R C.

r~

* Re: Varargs elimination!?
       [not found]   ` <200305160843.20474.bhelvey@freeusp.org>
@ 2003-05-16 14:07     ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 2003-05-16 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan E. Helvey; +Cc: gcc

On 16-May-2003, Bryan E. Helvey <bhelvey@freeusp.org> wrote:
> BTW, the web page, http://www.gnu.org/directory/devel/Compilers/gcc.html still
> says:
> "The GNU Compiler Collection is a full-featured ANSI C compiler with support
> for K&R C..."

Yes -- that probably ought to be changed.

* Re: Varargs elimination!?
@ 2003-05-16 15:06       ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2003-05-16 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Henderson; +Cc: Bryan E. Helvey, gcc

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 12:07:05AM +1000, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 16-May-2003, Bryan E. Helvey <bhelvey@freeusp.org> wrote:
> > BTW, the web page, http://www.gnu.org/directory/devel/Compilers/gcc.html still
> > says:
> > "The GNU Compiler Collection is a full-featured ANSI C compiler with support
> > for K&R C..."
>
> Yes -- that probably ought to be changed.

Ouch, that whole page has lots of out-of-date information.  I'll take a
crack at putting together a patch to fix it, which can be reviewed here
before being submitted to the GNU web page maintainers.  There's also a
separate page for g++ that ought to be dealt with somehow.

These pages list maintainers, developers, and sponsors of the project.
Mark Mitchell is listed as the maintainer for GCC, but the g++ page
lists the GCC Steering Committee, which seems more appropriate.  For
developers there can be a link to thanks.html (the g++ page does this).
For sponsors the GCC page lists "Cygnus (a RedHat company),
CodeSourcery"; should we continue to list Red Hat and CodeSourcery
there?  This is related to the recent discussion about the Cygnus entry
in the FAQ.

Janis

* Re: Varargs elimination!?
@ 2003-05-16 15:33         ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-16 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janis Johnson; +Cc: Fergus Henderson, Bryan E. Helvey, gcc

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Janis Johnson wrote:
>>> BTW, the web page, http://www.gnu.org/directory/devel/Compilers/gcc.html still
>>> says:
> Ouch, that whole page has lots of out-of-date information.  I'll take a
> crack at putting together a patch to fix it, which can be reviewed here
> before being submitted to the GNU web page maintainers.  There's also a
> separate page for g++ that ought to be dealt with somehow.

Thanks!  I believe we should merge the gcc and g++ pages; after all, there
are other frontends as well, and having many such pages makes maintainance
harder.

> These pages list maintainers, developers, and sponsors of the project.
> Mark Mitchell is listed as the maintainer for GCC, but the g++ page
> lists the GCC Steering Committee, which seems more appropriate.

Ack.

> For developers there can be a link to thanks.html (the g++ page does
> this).

Fine.

> For sponsors the GCC page lists "Cygnus (a RedHat company),
> CodeSourcery"; should we continue to list Red Hat and CodeSourcery
> there?  This is related to the recent discussion about the Cygnus entry
> in the FAQ.

Ouch.  What qualifies a sponsor?  If these two are listed, even though
they _are_ prominent companies in GCC-land, we need to list at least a
dozen of further ones (SuSE, Gaby's company, I assume IBM, Motorola?,
Apple,...).

Frankly, having such detailed information on a page that is beyond our
direct control and maintainance is a Big Thing.  I'd much prefer also
giving proper credits to companies in doc/contrib.tex (= thanks.html)
and remove those two entries.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/