* CONFIG2_H stuff in config/mips/t-*
@ 2003-05-16 21:44 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2003-05-16 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I believe all of that is obsolete and should be removed.  It was added back
in a time when we didn't recompile for a change in tm.h files.  I
thought it was dubious back then to special-case MIPS in that way, but now
it's not needed and creates duplication of Makefile pieces that can be
confusing. Does anybody object to them being removed?

* Re: CONFIG2_H stuff in config/mips/t-*
@ 2003-05-16 22:36 ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2003-05-16 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 14:47, Richard Kenner wrote:
> I believe all of that is obsolete and should be removed.  It was added back
> in a time when we didn't recompile for a change in tm.h files.  I
> thought it was dubious back then to special-case MIPS in that way, but now
> it's not needed and creates duplication of Makefile pieces that can be
> confusing. Does anybody object to them being removed?

If changes to header files works the dependencies ok, then i don't
object. go ahead.

-eric

--
Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>

* Re: CONFIG2_H stuff in config/mips/t-*
@ 2003-05-19 14:45 ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2003-05-19 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 05:47:35PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> I believe all of that is obsolete and should be removed.  It was added back
> in a time when we didn't recompile for a change in tm.h files.  I
> thought it was dubious back then to special-case MIPS in that way, but now
> it's not needed and creates duplication of Makefile pieces that can be
> confusing. Does anybody object to them being removed?

I wrote them when I was MIPS maintainer when I worked at OSF (1989-1994?).  I
would say they are probably past their usefulness, but you might want to check
with Eric C.  You might want to check the other ports I've worked on (rs6000,
frv, maybe m32r, v850), since I very firmly wanted the main files recompiled
any time a tm.h file was modified, and at the time, the GCC project explicitly
did not do that.

--
Michael Meissner
email: meissner@the-meissners.org