* PROPOSAL: Variation on an Alternate policy for obsoleting targets
@ 2003-05-18 17:17 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2003-05-18 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development

In the interests of keeping fixinc from becoming a monotonically increasing
behemoth, I propose the following addition:

> Now for the actual obsolescence rule. :-)
>
> Any target which has significant custom code (for instance, its own
> subdirectory or file under config/) requires a maintainer.  This is
> most of them.
>
> Any such target without a maintainer is advertised as needing one.

Maintainers would make at least one build with a GCC_MAINTAINER_MODE
environment variable set.  fixinc would detect that in the build and
record the machine triplet/quadruplet and the set of fix tests and
fixes that got applied during the build.  That information would get
pasted into the test results and mailed in.  This would provide a
means for determining some of the fixes that are not being used anymore.
This would also ensure that maintainers were at least monitoring GCC's
progress.  :)

 - Bruce

* Re: PROPOSAL: Variation on an Alternate policy for obsoleting targets
@ 2003-05-20 18:08 Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2003-05-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: Joe Buck, DJ Delorie, gcc

Bruce Korb wrote:
> Would it be too much trouble to set an environment variable
> and email in the resulting report file?  (Were it implemented.)
> No expect required.

Will the report be large?  If not, it might be useful to have
it produced by default, for debugging purposes when something
goes awry.
And we could change the instructions how to report a
successful build so that people just have to grab this file
and mail it to a specified address.  Considering how hard it
is for some people to report the output of config.guess (we've
gotten some copies of config.guess instead) it might be safer to
quote a filename of a file that is only generated by a build.

--
SuperH (UK) Ltd.