* Re: MinGW (Was Re: PROPOSAL: Variation on an Alternate policy for obsoleting targets)
@ 2003-05-20  1:24 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-05-20  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, stl

Stephan T. Lavavej said:

>The message here is interesting:
>http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2280276&forum_id=5119
>
>[Danny R. Smith]
>> The idea is to get all the ming and cygwin local changes into
>> mainstream FSF CVS, so that there is no need for a branch.
>> We are getting there.
>> Mingw Java developers have been particularly active and the ReactOs
>> people have also added a fair chunk.
>
>>> I see these GCC .diff files for every MinGW GCC release.
>>> Where are they coming from?
>>> On a maintainer's hard drive, perhaps? =)
>
>> Yes, mine, for now.
>> But that is not satisfactory from my point of view either.
>
>>> What specifically keeps these patches from being committed?
>
>> Time. Also, many heavy gcc developers have more importnat things to
>> review than patches for an unsupported platform like mingw.
>> Cygwin, at least, is considered a secondary platform.

Patches not getting reviewed in a reasonable amount of time is a known
problem, and we're all working on it.  :-/

If the patches aren't submitted to gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org, we can't do
anything, though.

If they are submitted and get no review in about two weeks, the
submitter should send a message titled 'unreviewed patch'... that usually
gets people's attention.

There are two types of changes:

* MinGW-specific support changes, which don't affect anyone not using
MinGW.  For these, we'd probably accept the word of the MinGW developers
to a certain extent, since they're the experts.  I don't see any reason
why these wouldn't go in quickly, except really sloppy coding, use of
deprecated or obsolete constructs, or lack of documentation.

* Changes which may affect builds for other platforms as well.  These
have to be reviewed quite carefully, of course, but are very welcome
especially if they're bug fixes.  :-)

--Nathanael

* Re: MinGW (Was: Re: PROPOSAL: Variation on an Alternate policy for obsoleting targets)
@ 2003-05-20 17:52 Bonzini
From: Bonzini @ 2003-05-20 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: stl, eric

> When building other software packages in Cygwin, there is always the switch
> -mno-cygwin available to disable linking to Cygwin DLLs. *But*, you'll need to
> make sure that the package is not making any Unix-specific calls for it to
> work, which unfortunately, GCC has those fork / exec / kill calls.
>
> Eric

configure should properly detect these as absent when CC="gcc -mno-cygwin".  Moreover,
with -mno-cygwin you don't define __unix__ and __CYGWIN__, but __WIN32__ and
__MSVC_CRT__ (not sure about the spelling of this last one).  The problem is that bugs
in the MinGW port are often bound to show up with -mno-cygwin as well.

Paolo

* Re: MinGW (Was: Re: PROPOSAL: Variation on an Alternate policy for obsoleting targets)
@ 2003-05-20  1:16 Stephan T. Lavavej
From: Stephan T. Lavavej @ 2003-05-20  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

[Joe Buck]
> you, personally, could work to make things better if you so desire.
> You could be downloading CVS versions, running them, reporting on
> problems, and asking for help with fixes.

I'm trying to learn. I've managed to successfully build 3.3 on GNU/Linux,
but haven't been able to build any version of gcc on MSYS/MinGW (whether
MinGW-patched or not).

I don't entirely understand CVS yet and I have no clue how diffs/patches
work (mechanically, not conceptually). I'm trying to learn, though. When
MinGW gcc 3.3 is released, I'll see if I can bootstrap it, and I'll report
any problems I encounter.

> secondary platforms require a capable volunteer to sign up to be
> the tester and coordinator for any needed bug fixes.
> If a MinGW champion is willing to take on that role, it will happen.

[DJ Delorie]
> The solution to that, is to make those non-gcc developers gcc maintainers.
> So make Danny the MinGW maintainer for GCC.

Hmm. I'll forward this to him.

I didn't want to give the impression that I'm complaining without being able
to contribute anything useful. I did want to make the gcc developers aware
of the plight of the MinGW community (and probably others).

> Don't forget about Cygwin and DJGPP, which also produce programs that
> run under Windows.  Not that I'm putting down MinGW, of course ;-)

I got started with DJGPP under Win98SE, and that worked great. However,
DJGPP executables under WinXP run in the NTVDM - they aren't truly Win32
executables. For example, they don't get their own process name. This causes
them to (1) run slowly, and (2) not at all in extreme cases. I switched from
DJGPP to MinGW when I found that my particularly memory-allocation-intensive
application was performing pathologically under DJGPP but not under MinGW or
GNU/Linux.

And Cygwin, well, those applications require the Cygwin DLL to be installed
on the end user's computer (correct me if I'm wrong).  It's always seemed to
me to be a good solution if you want to simulate GNU/Linux on a Windows
machine, but a bad solution if you want to create executables that you can
distribute to others.

Thanks.
Stephan T. Lavavej
http://www.nuwen.net

* MinGW (Was: Re: PROPOSAL: Variation on an Alternate policy for obsoleting targets)
@ 2003-05-19 22:40 Stephan T. Lavavej
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stephan T. Lavavej @ 2003-05-19 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

[DJ Delorie]
> some platforms are supported by groups outside of gcc development,
> who are in general happy with a target that doesn't happen to be
> useful as-is out of the gcc source tree, but would still be
> inconvenienced if that target were deprecated.

However, there are some platforms which are supported by non-gcc developers
and aren't useful as-is from FSF sources, yet the platform's users
desperately wish that gcc would work as-is.

I'm talking about MinGW, which - as far as I can tell - receives fairly
little attention from the gcc developers and the community in general,
despite being the *only* way to produce true Win32 executables that can be
licensed in any manner. From reading the MinGW and gcc mailing lists, I
believe that MinGW exists as a set of patches on a developer's hard drive to
the FSF sources. Thus, if I want to go and build MinGW, I can't, because I
don't have those patches. I have to wait until the MinGW developers release
a compatible set of patches and build the appropriate binaries.  For
example, I'm currently waiting for MinGW 3.3.

The message here is interesting:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2280276&forum_id=5119

[Danny R. Smith]
> The idea is to get all the ming and cygwin local changes into
> mainstream FSF CVS, so that there is no need for a branch.
> We are getting there.
> Mingw Java developers have been particularly active and the ReactOs
> people have also added a fair chunk.

>> I see these GCC .diff files for every MinGW GCC release.
>> Where are they coming from?
>> On a maintainer's hard drive, perhaps? =)

> Yes, mine, for now.
> But that is not satisfactory from my point of view either.

>> What specifically keeps these patches from being committed?

> Time. Also, many heavy gcc developers have more importnat things to
> review than patches for an unsupported platform like mingw.
> Cygwin, at least, is considered a secondary platform.

Given MinGW's importance as the only real way to run gcc on Windows, I don't
see why it's not even a secondary platform for gcc.

And even if MinGW doesn't become a secondary platform, it would be a great
help if the gcc developers could work on reviewing MinGW patches and getting
them hoovered into the mainstream FSF CVS.

I live in mortal fear that some day the MinGW developers will lose
interest/be hit by a truck/whatever, and gcc will suddenly become unusable
on Windows. Linux is great - I just put it on my second computer - but I
think it's important to keep gcc functional on Windows, if for nothing else
than to act as a gateway for new developers to get into the world of gcc.

Stephan T. Lavavej
http://stl.caltech.edu