* Re: Re: speedup collect2 (by not using it)
@ 2003-05-22 22:31 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2003-05-22 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: law

> >> does collect2 ever do anything interesting when
> >> USE_COLLECT2 isn't defined and -frepo isn't given?  Problem areas might
> >> be IBM (COLLECT_EXPORT_LIST).  If aix is a problem, we can always do
> >> collect2 when COLLECT_EXPORT_LIST is defined.
> >
> >      The GCC configuration for AIX always define use_collect2=yes
> >because it needs collect2 to build the list of constructors.
>Similarly for HPUX.

This isn't true anymore under hpux11.  On the 64-bit port, we
don't use collect2.  On the 32-bit port, we no longer use chatr.  We
now use the LD_INIT_SWITCH and LD_FINI_SWITCH macros.  This has the
advantage that constructors/destructors are automatically run when
shared libraries are loaded/unloaded.  This works with dynamic loading
with shl_load.  Unfortunately, we are still stuck with collect2
under hpux 10.x because the linker doesn't support the +init and
+fini options.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)