* Re: your RESOLVED->CLOSED changes
@ 2003-05-23 15:29 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2003-05-23 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bangerth
  Cc: giovannibajo, pfeifer, neroden, ehrhardt, ebotcazou, gcc, dberlin

On 23 May, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

>> Right now, in order to change to CLOSED, you need to edit the bug two times,
>> and this is suboptimal.
>
> I wasn't even aware of this. Which might or might not indicate that the
> process is too complicated.
>
> Regarding the existence of the two states at all: I have argued previously
> that that's unnecessary. Nathanael says that we need them for the
> otherwise lack of QA in gcc, but I think that's not correct: every patch
> for a bug should come with a testcase, so at least in theory a bug that
> has once been fixed cannot reappear because it would show up in the
> testsuite.
>
> I get the feeling that this requirement is quite thoroughly handled. If it
> is not in some cases, then I think it is an undue burden on the bugzilla
> people if they have to maintain two states for _all_ bug reports. It's an
> undue burden because it can't be their responsibility to enforce the
> testcase rule, but they would be forced to bear the consequences.
>
> I would also like to posit that quite a number of bugs will then stay
> RESOLVED indefinitely. If someone, say, fixes a bug on mn10200 or some
> other obscure target, who's going to double-check after a release and put
> in into CLOSED?

Full Ack!

We've got more than 1600 open PRs. And we introduce a lot of bugs
with each new major release (although this seems to get better).
So I don't mind the couple of bugs slipping through the cracks of
the testsuite. They will be found like all the other bugs were
found. Having two states or more for closed bugs just wastes
resources that we need for managing the bug database and
confused the users IMHO.

Regards,
Volker

* Re: your RESOLVED->CLOSED changes
@ 2003-05-23 14:55 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-05-23 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Anthony Kazos Jr.; +Cc: gcc

>> I would also like to posit that quite a number of bugs will then stay
>> RESOLVED indefinitely. If someone, say, fixes a bug on mn10200 or some
>> other obscure target, who's going to double-check after a release and
>> put in into CLOSED?
>
> Doesn't that prove the lack of QA, and demonstrate the need for it? If a
> fix hasn't been checked, it *should* remain resolved-but-unclosed
> indefinately until someone checks it. Otherwise, why bother checking
> fixes at all?

Yes and no. Yes, because in a sense you're right but it's just a fact that
we're developer starved and don't have enough people working on the rarer
platforms.

No, since at least in principle each patch should go in with a testcase,
so the very same developer will re-check every time he runs the testsuite.
The initial check whether a patch is sane is done by peer review.

W.

Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: your RESOLVED->CLOSED changes
@ 2003-05-23  7:39 Nathanael Nerode
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-05-23  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovannibajo; +Cc: gcc

>with these messages. May I ask you to discuss such issues on the main
>mailing list before doing it? We (bughunters) are trying to mantain
Sure.

>and unmantainable. Moreover, we have bugzilla rights to do such batch
>changes without spamming gcc-bugs.
I wasn't actually batching them, you know... I caught at least three
mis-resolved bugs in the process. :-/

I'm not sure why there's no way to poke a bug without flooding gcc-bugs
(or indeed everyone else on the CC list).  And for that matter, if there
are privileges you have to avoid this that I don't, why that is. :-/  I've
poked large numbers of bugs in one day in the past as a matter of
routine maintenance, sorting, correcting.

>Besides, we were discussing the whole VERIFIED/RESOLVED/CLOSED issue
>off-list (and once we would have found an agreement among ourselves, we
>were going to bring the issue on the list of course). Theoretically,
>nobody
Honestly, better to discuss this one on-list.  Probably better to have
discussed it before the switchover, as well, but that's water under the
bridge.

>decided yet if we wanted to mantain a difference between "closed"
>states or
>not, so we might have to revert all these changes eventually (even if
>we seem to agree that those states are useless and we simply want all
>bugs CLOSED). Bugzilla itself might need changes once a policy is
>adopted.

I think the verified/closed distinction is quite useful for noting bugs
which are fixed but not in a released version.  (Of course some closed
bugs are present in 3.3 as of now, but that's an acceptable transition
state.)

Given the total lack of QA in GCC at the moment, perhaps 'resolved' is
not a very useful status, but it's certainly true that only some of the
currently 'resolved' bugs are actually resolved (I assume this is the
usual unavoidable conversion glitches).

--Nathanael

[parent not found: <20030523062858.322.qmail@sources.redhat.com>]