* please update config.guess and libtool
@ 2003-10-09 12:55 Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2003-10-09 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: glibc-bsd-devel, glibc-bsd-hackers

Hi!

Could someone please update config.{guess,sub} and libtool in GCC sources?
Recent versions contain fixes needed to support GNU/K*BSD.

Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)

* Re: please update config.guess and libtool
@ 2003-10-09 21:21 ` Bernardo Innocenti
From: Bernardo Innocenti @ 2003-10-09 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Millan; +Cc: gcc, glibc-bsd-devel, glibc-bsd-hackers

Robert Millan wrote:

> Could someone please update config.{guess,sub} and libtool in GCC sources?
> Recent versions contain fixes needed to support GNU/K*BSD.

I would, but the master copies are not any longer on ftp.gnu.org
since the FSF server has been taken over.

Is it OK to import the HEAD revision from savannah.gnu.org?

\X/  http://www.develer.com/

Please don't send Word attachments - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

* Re: please update config.guess and libtool
@ 2003-10-09 21:39   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2003-10-09 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernardo Innocenti; +Cc: Robert Millan, gcc, glibc-bsd-devel, glibc-bsd-hackers

On Oct  9, 2003, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie@develer.com> wrote:

> Is it OK to import the HEAD revision from savannah.gnu.org?

Yes.

Libtool files would be far trickier, though, as they will require the
entire tree to have already been converted to autoconf 2.5x.

* Re: please update config.guess and libtool
@ 2003-10-10  3:53     ` Bernardo Innocenti
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernardo Innocenti @ 2003-10-10  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: Robert Millan, gcc, Loren James Rittle

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Oct  9, 2003, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie@develer.com> wrote:
>>Is it OK to import the HEAD revision from savannah.gnu.org?
>
> Yes.

I've just noticed that the official documentation is quite
vague about the correct procedure to use.
(http://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html#upstream).

According to http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-05/msg00636.html ,
I've checked out the HEAD revisions of config.sub and
config.guess and I'm going to do this:

 $ cd <config_stuff_to_import>
 $ cvs -d :ext:bernie@gcc.gnu.org:/cvs/gcc import \
      gcc SUBVERSION config-2003-06-13
 $ cd <gcc_sandbox>
 $ cvs admin -bSUBVERSION config.sub config.guess

It looks like nobody had ever used this procedure before,
otherwise there would be a SUBVERSION branch tag on
config.sub and several import tags, wouldn't it?

I'm confused... :-/

> Libtool files would be far trickier, though, as they will require the
> entire tree to have already been converted to autoconf 2.5x.

I wasn't planning to import those anyway... :-)

@ 2003-10-10  5:43       ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-10-10  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 05:39:27AM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> >On Oct  9, 2003, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie@develer.com> wrote:
> >>Is it OK to import the HEAD revision from savannah.gnu.org?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> I've just noticed that the official documentation is quite
> vague about the correct procedure to use.
> (http://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html#upstream).
>
> According to http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-05/msg00636.html ,
> I've checked out the HEAD revisions of config.sub and
> config.guess and I'm going to do this:
>
> $ cd <config_stuff_to_import>
> $ cvs -d :ext:bernie@gcc.gnu.org:/cvs/gcc import \
>      gcc SUBVERSION config-2003-06-13
> $ cd <gcc_sandbox>
> $ cvs admin -bSUBVERSION config.sub config.guess
>

> It looks like nobody had ever used this procedure before,
> otherwise there would be a SUBVERSION branch tag on
> config.sub and several import tags, wouldn't it?
>
> I'm confused... :-/

You don't need to do anything near that complicated.  Just copy in new
ones and check it in...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: please update config.guess and libtool
@ 2003-10-10  5:48       ` Loren James Rittle
From: Loren James Rittle @ 2003-10-10  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aoliva, bernie; +Cc: gcc, rittle, zeratul2

> According to http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-05/msg00636.html ,

FYI, the referred article was a *proposal* for a correct way to
automate various tasks that trip up gcc maintainers.  I'm sure that
you are quite correct that the named vendor branches don't exist
within gcc...  The thread ended here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-05/msg00802.html

"PS, the issue is now moot since it appears that we don't wish to use
 cvs import in the gcc tree.  I.e. although the word "import" was/is
 used in some documentation related to how we will handle our source
 tree for gcc at gcc.gnu.org, it was never meant to imply the actual
 use of `cvs import'."

Loren

* Re: please update config.guess and libtool
@ 2003-10-10 12:11   ` Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2003-10-10 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernardo Innocenti; +Cc: gcc, glibc-bsd-devel, glibc-bsd-hackers

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:48:07PM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
>
> >Could someone please update config.{guess,sub} and libtool in GCC sources?
> >Recent versions contain fixes needed to support GNU/K*BSD.
>
> I would, but the master copies are not any longer on ftp.gnu.org
> since the FSF server has been taken over.
>
> Is it OK to import the HEAD revision from savannah.gnu.org?

Sure, my patches are commited there.

and thanks,

--

@ 2003-10-10 13:02       ` Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2003-10-10 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernardo Innocenti; +Cc: gcc, glibc-bsd-hackers, glibc-bsd-devel

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 05:39:27AM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> >Libtool files would be far trickier, though, as they will require the
> >entire tree to have already been converted to autoconf 2.5x.
>
> I wasn't planning to import those anyway... :-)

Uhm.. two questions:

 - Is a libtool/autoconf migration planned for 3.4?
 - Patches welcome?