From: Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz>
To: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
Cc: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>,
	Geert Bosch <bosch@gnat.com>, Roger Sayle <roger@eyesopen.com>,
	Arnaud Charlet <charlet@ACT-Europe.FR>,
	gcc@gcc.gnu.org, Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz>
Subject: Re: Ada updates frozen
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 09:07:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 11:40, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > Geert Bosch <bosch@gnat.com> writes:

> > > Given the significant problems this patch introduces, I would
> > > appreciate it if Jan would revert this patch, until the regressions
> > > are resolved.
> > >
> > > Richard Kenner already implemented the required changes for gigi
> > > (the Ada front end/back end interface), but these are on hold now.
> > > It will be a few days before the remaining front end work is
> > > finished.
> >
> > I am presently testing a patch which reverts GET_MODE_BITSIZE to its
> > original meaning (i.e. GET_MODE_SIZE * BITS_PER_UNIT) and introduces
> > a new macro GET_MODE_PRECISION which is used in a very few places
> > (notably mode_for_size).  I think this should be an adequate bandage
> > to restore Ada bootstrap so that work can go forward on the complete
> > solution.  However, there are still some issues with the patch, so I
> > cannot provide it just yet, but I intend to have them worked out by
> > the end of the day.
>
> I'm too far behind on email to understand what the reference to Jan's
> patch is.  I do know about Zack's patch.  So, this email refers to
> Zack's patch, but not Jan's patch.

My patch does exactly the same Zack did for IA-64.  x86-64 has exactly
symetric behaviour wrt long double and __float128 as IA-64 ABI has.  I
really hope that if Zack works out the issues with Ada, it will
automatically fix the x86-64 part too.  I can do any help with fixing
the bug if Zack figure out how to make me involved in his effort.

Honza