* Fink on Darwin sets ld environment variables
@ 2003-11-28 17:33 Brad Lucier
From: Brad Lucier @ 2003-11-28 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Brad Lucier

There was a recent question about link failures in the f77 test suite on
MacOS due to extra warnings.  These happen because fink 6.2 defines several
linker-related environment variables; here's part of the output of printenv
on my box:

LD_SEG_ADDR_TABLE=/sw/var/lib/fink/prebound/seg_addr_table
LD_PREBIND=1
LD_PREBIND_ALLOW_OVERLAP=1

This will result in warnings from the linker if you happen to specify options
that override these environment variables.  (The one that bit me was LD_PREBIND)

Brad

* Re: Fink on Darwin sets ld environment variables
@ 2003-11-29  9:54 ` Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2003-11-29  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Howarth; +Cc: lucier, gcc

Jack,

Jack Howarth wrote:
> Brad,
>    Thanks for figuring that out. However I still don't quite understand
> why these link errors appear only in the newer snapshots and the older
> 20031015 snapshot doesn't show them.

Most probably due to this one :)

> Also, how did you suppress them
> for the building of current gcc 3.4 g77? Lastly, I am also a bit
> concerned about what breakage this issue will cause us...

Don't know if this one and the related ones have an impact. I could be
wrong, but I don't see any similar warnings here. Well, I DON'T use fink.

> since it only appeared in earlier November and apparently still
> exists in the main trunk.

You may try to build your chain with --disable-shared. But then, in case
you build libgcj, this one will not work.

Personally I find it a bit strange to set linker flags in the
environment. But this is my personal view.

Andreas

* re: Fink on Darwin sets ld environment variables
@ 2003-11-28 23:22 Jack Howarth
From: Jack Howarth @ 2003-11-28 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucier; +Cc: gcc

Brad,
   Thanks for figuring that out. However I still don't quite understand
why these link errors appear only in the newer snapshots and the older
20031015 snapshot doesn't show them. Also, how did you suppress them

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-11/msg01346.html

since it only appeared in earlier November and apparently still
exists in the main trunk.
                         Jack