* Is a warning for a==a possible?
@ 2003-12-04 13:53 George Garvey
From: George Garvey @ 2003-12-04 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Just made a stupid mistake, and wondered if GCC could have warned about it?

	struct S {
		int A;

		bool f(const int a) {
			const bool r(A == A);
			a = 3;
		};
	};

The first line in f() should have been r = A == a. No doubt there is a
valid reason to compare something to itself that I can't see right now. Is
it possible for GCC to notice this?

* Re: Is a warning for a==a possible?
@ 2003-12-04 17:43 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2003-12-04 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:51:33AM -0800, George Garvey wrote:
> Just made a stupid mistake, and wondered if GCC could have warned about it?
>
> 	struct S {
> 		int A;
>
> 		bool f(const int a) {
> 			const bool r(A == A);
> 			a = 3;
> 		};
> 	};
>
> The first line in f() should have been r = A == a. No doubt there is a
> valid reason to compare something to itself that I can't see right now.

You're forgetting macros and machine-generated code, which might produce
something like A == A.